Author Topic: Advice for people wanting midface surgery  (Read 17319 times)

Rico

Re: Advice for people wanting midface surgery
« Reply #45 on: January 31, 2015, 05:45:56 PM »
PloskoPlus: some surgeons use navigation system ( it's not GPS :P ) to put the bone in right position in order to achieve very good precision, like +/- 0.5mm  . Prof Goudot from France additionally do some pre-bore (or something like that) before he install proper miniplate stabilised by screws. He claims it gives him +/- 0.2mm precision
I mean precision related to the model (plan)
Precision is important when it comes to reposition of the zygomatic bone to prevent from enopthlamos and diploplia. Of course such extremely good precision is not required 0.5mm is enough (1mm probably too) ;)  unfortunately I do not know any patient after computer assited midface correction. It can be useful also for jaw surgery. Generally it is important for planning. Surgeon first use 3D model to determine how to cut the bone exactly and after that how to move this bone (also by using navigation system). Everything according to the plan. Bad plan = botched surgery.

Something like this

Of course there are many surgical navigation systems

BTW I reminded myself about following reserach for midface correction
https://www.researchgate.net/publication/49646858_Zygomatic_sagittal_split_osteotomy_a_novel_and_simple_surgical_technique_for_use_in_midface_corrections
« Last Edit: February 01, 2015, 12:22:40 PM by Rico :) »

Rico

« Reply #46 on: February 04, 2015, 04:07:28 AM »
Earl25: Please tell me, where you had incision on the face (skin incisions) during your modified LF3 surgery ?

earl25

« Reply #47 on: February 04, 2015, 06:13:44 AM »
Earl25: Please tell me, where you had incision on the face (skin incisions) during your modified LF3 surgery ?

the only cisible incision is right in the middle of the outer eyelids

Rico

« Reply #48 on: February 04, 2015, 07:10:45 AM »
I meant all, not only visible.  Only there ?  only on the lower eyelids on both sides ? even not on the eyebrow ?

btw how you feel about your visible scars after that ? doesn't it look strange ?

PloskoPlus

« Reply #49 on: February 08, 2015, 10:15:51 PM »
Found this:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23351774

Has anyone else seen it?  If this is the case, wouldn't the fear of going blind or having complications be reduced significantly? 

I wish there were more info. on this- very aggravating.

Also, about the LF3:  wouldn't this advancement leave the supraorbital foramen/browridge and forehead to look or become recessed?

The non-syndrome cases I've seen were all class III.  For whatever reason most class IIIs have robust brow ridges.  Some (like me) have sloped foreheads however (or maybe the recessed forehead makes the brow ridge look strong).

Rico

« Reply #50 on: February 09, 2015, 10:54:04 AM »
you can always end up blind or with enophtlamos, double vision when you touch orbital structure. However blindness it very rare ....and mostly several hours postop due to some hematome in the orbit,  other complications also rare but it may happen.

I had fractured orbital floor and laterall wall and even did not feel it :) no problem with eye
but after fracture (especially mild) eventually swelling / hematoma is milder than after surgery

if you would like to feel safe about this, you have to stop thinking about surgery

Rico

« Reply #51 on: February 09, 2015, 07:04:01 PM »
what a stupid commercial before / after.  Don't look a that. Take another realistic examples