Author Topic: Jaw Implants  (Read 10312 times)

Vic

Jaw Implants
« on: December 12, 2014, 02:22:41 AM »
Hi Everyone,

I'm looking at getting some custom jaw implants to improve my profile and extend my Ramus. I wanted to get peoples views on Custom implants and see if anyone on here as had jaw implants fitted and how the feel?

Does anyone know really good surgeons that do this procedure in Europe?

Cheers

PloskoPlus

Re: Jaw Implants
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2014, 03:04:09 AM »
Hi Everyone,

I'm looking at getting some custom jaw implants to improve my profile and extend my Ramus. I wanted to get peoples views on Custom implants and see if anyone on here as had jaw implants fitted and how the feel?

Does anyone know really good surgeons that do this procedure in Europe?

Cheers

Implants will not lengthen your ramus.  They can give you a wider more robust looking jaw, but ideally you would need long ramus to place them in the first place.  The only way to "lengthen" the ramus is a chin wing osteotomy.

Vic

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2014, 03:10:27 AM »
I was speaking Dr Eppley in America, who advised you can have custom implants do increase the vertical length of the ramus.

What surgeons are best in Europe for the chin wing?

MaxilloMandibular

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2014, 03:14:01 AM »
Implants will not lengthen your ramus.  They can give you a wider more robust looking jaw, but ideally you would need long ramus to place them in the first place.  The only way to "lengthen" the ramus is a chin wing osteotomy.

There are are implants that add vertical "drop down" to the ramus.

PloskoPlus

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2014, 03:22:22 AM »
Interesting.  I was mistaken.

Vic

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2014, 04:48:16 AM »
There are are implants that add vertical "drop down" to the ramus.

Hi MaxilloMandibular, do you know any surgeons in Europe that do this procedure?

Skillsaw

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2014, 08:03:29 AM »

Really? I wasn't aware - but I didn't think it was possible anyways since I haven't really seen any real pictures of the jaw implants depicted below. These pictures illustrating jaw implants appear to lengthen the ramus (or at least square off the gonion noticeably), but are they legit in terms of real-world application? Any results of people?

sean89

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2014, 08:38:45 AM »
Almost every surgeon I've spoken to fit jaw implants. There are hundreds of surgeons in Europe and you will probably find that your local surgeon does them (and I would definitely recommend that you go local because travel costs/hotel/food definitely add up). For best results, though, the trick is to find surgeons who fit custom-made jaw implants.

Vic

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2014, 09:37:57 AM »
Almost every surgeon I've spoken to fit jaw implants. There are hundreds of surgeons in Europe and you will probably find that your local surgeon does them (and I would definitely recommend that you go local because travel costs/hotel/food definitely add up). For best results, though, the trick is to find surgeons who fit custom-made jaw implants.

Have you got any Surgeons names?

sean89

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2014, 10:56:54 AM »
Have you got any Surgeons names?

I consulted with Brian Musgrove and Noorman van der Dussen (amongst others) who both fit implants. Musgrove told me that they are surprisingly popular among plastic surgeons. By that, I mean that a lot of plastic surgeons have implants put on their jaw (according to him). He told me that he fitted implants for one surgeon who hasn't been back to him since (over 10 years ago).

I've also emailed a lot of surgeons (probably over 50), asking if they perform a chin-wing osteotomy and the main response was that they don't do it because they use implants instead (I would say over 50% responded this way). Find a list of surgeons local to you, or speak to an orthodontist who might recommend a surgeon and email them and I reckon you have a good chance that they will fit implants.

sean89

« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2014, 11:03:42 AM »
I consulted with Brian Musgrove and Noorman van der Dussen (amongst others) who both fit implants. Musgrove told me that they are surprisingly popular among plastic surgeons. By that, I mean that a lot of plastic surgeons have implants put on their jaw (according to him). He told me that he fitted implants for one surgeon who hasn't been back to him since (over 10 years ago).

I've also emailed a lot of surgeons (probably over 50), asking if they perform a chin-wing osteotomy and the main response was that they don't do it because they use implants instead (I would say over 50% responded this way). Find a list of surgeons local to you, or speak to an orthodontist who might recommend a surgeon and email them and I reckon you have a good chance that they will fit implants.

Actually, I've probably overstated that a little bit, but I don't think implants are rare. Around half of the surgeons who actually responded to my emails said they could fit implants but I reckon a lot of the ones who didn't respond done so because they had no solution for lateral augmentation/jaw angle lowering.

Most of my emails were ignored, I found.

PloskoPlus

« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2014, 12:25:05 PM »
Actually, I've probably overstated that a little bit, but I don't think implants are rare. Around half of the surgeons who actually responded to my emails said they could fit implants but I reckon a lot of the ones who didn't respond done so because they had no solution for lateral augmentation/jaw angle lowering.

Why did you choose to have a chin wing over implants?

Vic

« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2014, 12:54:23 PM »

Who did you have a chin wing with? and what were the results like? did you your gonial angle improve greatly?

sean89

« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2014, 03:26:32 PM »
Why did you choose to have a chin wing over implants?

I was worried about having to have the implant removed if it ever got infected. As it happens, I'll be getting the screws removed from my chin in a few months time, due to mild discomfort there, when I get my palate widened.

Who did you have a chin wing with? and what were the results like? did you your gonial angle improve greatly?

I've already posted about this. On my right side, my profile is excellent. On my left side, it is ok. That's because my gonial angle on my right was much lower to start off with before the procedure, and the procedure is limited by the starting point of your bone. From frontal view, it isn't going to make your jawline your best feature; it will just make it a solid, non-deformed platform upon which you will be judged by your other features. You aren't going to get an incredibly angled jaw because the whole mandible is widened not just the jaw angles. However, I'm not the best person to speak to because another user has gone with the surgeon who has most experience with the chin-wing osteotomy and so he will know more than anyone as to what it is capable of achieving. These are just my thoughts on it. If you have weak upper facial features and need a great jaw to come to your rescue for your to be truly happy with your appearance, then you should get implants.

Vic

« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2014, 04:12:35 PM »
I was worried about having to have the implant removed if it ever got infected. As it happens, I'll be getting the screws removed from my chin in a few months time, due to mild discomfort there, when I get my palate widened.

I've already posted about this. On my right side, my profile is excellent. On my left side, it is ok. That's because my gonial angle on my right was much lower to start off with before the procedure, and the procedure is limited by the starting point of your bone. From frontal view, it isn't going to make your jawline your best feature; it will just make it a solid, non-deformed platform upon which you will be judged by your other features. You aren't going to get an incredibly angled jaw because the whole mandible is widened not just the jaw angles. However, I'm not the best person to speak to because another user has gone with the surgeon who has most experience with the chin-wing osteotomy and so he will know more than anyone as to what it is capable of achieving. These are just my thoughts on it. If you have weak upper facial features and need a great jaw to come to your rescue for your to be truly happy with your appearance, then you should get implants.

Who's the surgeon with the most experience?