Author Topic: Piezosurgery technique  (Read 7795 times)

grahams

Piezosurgery technique
« on: January 27, 2013, 11:55:37 AM »
Surprised to see no discussion of 'piezosurgery' on this forum.  It's apparently a relatively new technique developed in the last few years which uses ultrasound to cut the bone rather than traditional saw techniques.

The supposed benefits are that it doesn't harm soft tissue and is less likely to upset the nerves — so that means feeling back in your face within days, no nerve damage, less swelling/bruising and ultimately back to work more speedily — 2 weeks as opposed to 6 weeks!

Some leading surgeons charge a lot of money for it, but I've also seen many do it at a reasonable price.

Unfortunately, where I am in the UK they appear to be behind the times, but the technique is practised in Europe and the US.

Has anyone had experience of it?  Or are they looking into it?  Seems like the technology to go for, unless I'm missing something.

Lazlo

• Private
Re: Piezosurgery technique
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2013, 01:21:28 PM »
I'd be interested to know more about this. I consulted with a top Max fac surgeon who is also a chair of maxillofacial surgery at a university and is a researcher. He told me they were currently doing research into finding a laser to do the cutting for jaw surgery and they had just identified the right laser and that were about were about 5-7 years away from it's adoption, that was 3 years ago by the way, so maybe it's out.  Do you actually know of a maxillofacial surgeon who is using this technique?

Lazlo

• Private
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2013, 01:22:09 PM »
Surprised to see no discussion of 'piezosurgery' on this forum.  It's apparently a relatively new technique developed in the last few years which uses ultrasound to cut the bone rather than traditional saw techniques.

The supposed benefits are that it doesn't harm soft tissue and is less likely to upset the nerves — so that means feeling back in your face within days, no nerve damage, less swelling/bruising and ultimately back to work more speedily — 2 weeks as opposed to 6 weeks!

Some leading surgeons charge a lot of money for it, but I've also seen many do it at a reasonable price.

Unfortunately, where I am in the UK they appear to be behind the times, but the technique is practised in Europe and the US.

Has anyone had experience of it?  Or are they looking into it?  Seems like the technology to go for, unless I'm missing something.

do you know of any max fac surgeon using it? please post the info

Lazlo

• Private
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2013, 01:46:10 PM »
wow this technology has the potential to actually revolutionize the results you can get. I wonder why we haven't seen it's application and adoption in max fac --it's been around for several years!!!??

any ideas?

http://www.ijoms.com/article/S0901-5027(10)00506-0/abstract

http://www.joms.org/article/S0278-2391(05)00873-6/abstract

Lazlo

• Private
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2013, 01:49:22 PM »
seems we are just around the corner from it's use --here's a workshop for max facs to learn how to use the device from sept. of this year.

it's kind of exciting actually because it seems like it would be really useful for all sorts of more complex craniofacial surgeries involving sensitive areas around the orbits etc.. Man ten years from now things are going to be awesome.

http://www.piezosurgery.com/fileadmin/user_upload/PIEZOSURGERY_medical/PDF/EACMFS_program.pdf

Lazlo

• Private
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2013, 01:56:17 PM »
well...premature enthusiasm,

brochure indicates it's not used for mandibular or lefort advancements...yet, only things like extractions etc. but it is used for distraction osteogenesis interestingly...

http://www.mentoroms.com/files/2012/08/Piezosurgery-brochure.pdf

Heavyweight

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2013, 03:02:22 PM »
I think Dr. Hernandez in Spain uses this technique. I'm guessing a few more surgeons in Europe and Korea do so as well.

Lazlo

• Private
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2013, 03:34:53 PM »
I think Dr. Hernandez in Spain uses this technique. I'm guessing a few more surgeons in Europe and Korea do so as well.

what gives you that idea? i can't find a single site indicating orthagnathic surgery is performed with this device.

Heavyweight

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2013, 11:40:31 AM »

what gives you that idea? i can't find a single site indicating orthagnathic surgery is performed with this device.

It's right on his website. Sailer uses it as well. I'm assuming the same is true of Dr. Park in Korea.

Lazlo

• Private
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2013, 11:52:40 AM »
It's right on his website. Sailer uses it as well. I'm assuming the same is true of Dr. Park in Korea.

oh thanks, i missed that i guess. obviously the outcome of one's surgery is still dependent on the skill and aesthetic eye of the surgeon, but it does seem the use of this device can significantly minimize nerve damage as well as allow the surgeon greater precision....  i wonder why our top dog surgeons such as schendel, a/g etc. don't use it (or at least it's not advertised...)

Heavyweight

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2013, 12:58:21 PM »
According to this study, 98% of patients who had piezosurgery had no nerve damage vs 84% of those who had conventional surgery: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/18629552/

Does Schendel use piezosurgery?

pekay

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2013, 01:10:11 PM »
I'm pretty sure that the Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery in Boston lead by Dr Kaban uses this
Chopsticks > Spoons

Lazlo

• Private
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2013, 03:24:36 PM »
According to this study, 98% of patients who had piezosurgery had no nerve damage vs 84% of those who had conventional surgery: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/18629552/

Does Schendel use piezosurgery?

wow, yeah that's significant...i hope schendel does, you should ask him...

pekay

« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2013, 06:45:25 AM »
according to Prof. Sailer's website he ONLY uses the piezosurgery technique
Chopsticks > Spoons

bbonte

« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2013, 09:23:51 AM »
[b
I have been the MECTRON piezo for BSO since a few years, now start using the more powerfull MISONIX for LeFort I, SARPE and BSO, less bleeding definitely and there should be less injury to the nerves from literature.
Dr Bonte MD DDS PhD

[/b]