Author Topic: Piezosurgery technique  (Read 7794 times)

Bone Guy

Re: Piezosurgery technique
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2013, 10:33:36 AM »
Piezosurgery by Mectron is popular in the United States.   www.piezosurgery.us

Oral surgeons using it include Craig Misch, Michael Pikos, Joel Rosenlicht, Cris Viozzi, Ole Jenson, Peter Moy, Martin Chin and Dan Cullum.

There are different versions available from Piezosurgery by Mectron such as: Piezosurgery 3, Piezosurgery Touch and the Piezosurgery Medical System (hospital operating rooms)

Lazlo

• Private
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2013, 10:55:48 AM »
I asked Dr. Keller about piezosurgery. He actually said he's tried it, doesn't like it. He said it takes longer to use, is not as precise and in the right hands a good sharp tool is much better than the piezosurgery. He said a few of the max facs at mayo have used it but they usually go back to the using sharp tools. Said it doesn't really make much of a difference with regards to nerve damage either. Don't know if he's just set in his ways and old school, or if he's right.

Lazlo

• Private
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2013, 10:57:27 AM »
fyi: I kept pronouncing it p-i-e-z-o-surgery as if it was some kind of italian thing, apparently it's pronounced fizosurgery, lol

schendel uses it correct?

pumukka

« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2013, 03:49:22 PM »
I find it hard to find which ones use it here in Europe, It's not like most announce it on their website that if they even have it as most top surgeons dont need to advertise them selfs and just by word of mouth they are very busy.

Do you guys know anyone else apart from Dr Alfaro who uses it?

pekay

« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2013, 08:08:30 AM »
I asked Dr. Keller about piezosurgery. He actually said he's tried it, doesn't like it. He said it takes longer to use, is not as precise and in the right hands a good sharp tool is much better than the piezosurgery. He said a few of the max facs at mayo have used it but they usually go back to the using sharp tools. Said it doesn't really make much of a difference with regards to nerve damage either. Don't know if he's just set in his ways and old school, or if he's right.

I heard the exact and I mean the exact same thing from a surgeon here

i guess the is no way around avoiding the whole perma lower lip numbness  >:(

Chopsticks > Spoons

pekay

« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2013, 10:12:22 AM »
Pekay, who is the other surgeon who has the same opinion as him? How much experience he had with Piezo? Im asking because this is been a determinant factor in deciding who to choose for the next surgery. If more people say Piezo doesn't make a difference I will ignore it

Dr Pitta, he is a Brazilian surgeon. I don't know how experienced he is with the Piezo technique but he doesn't like it.

Are you certain that you need revision surgery? How old are you and where are you located?
Chopsticks > Spoons

molestrip

• Private
« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2014, 08:42:16 PM »
I've been looking into this technique as well. I contacted the company and they gave me Dr Viozzi's name as well. I sent him an email to see if he'd comment on the piezo technique but got no reply :( I asked my local surgeon about it and he didn't think it was interesting but didn't say why specifically. He mentioned that he has the tool and uses it for other operations.

I met with Li and Gunson as well. I didn't ask specifically about piezo but I got the impression that they don't like to be on the bleeding edge, a respectable position. If you go with something very new like this, you want to be sure you use a surgeon who has a lot of experience with it. I would say at least a few hundred surgeries and at least 2-3 years.