Author Topic: Nerve Damage - anyone heard of treatment for this. Acupunture or any other  (Read 5309 times)

janeames

I had orthognathic surgery over a year ago - I have about 80% of the feeling back but still have numbness to the lip.  I have been to a acupunturist and have had 6 weekly treatments and are starting again tomorrow.  I am wondering whether this is worth it?  Has anyone else had success with acupunture treatment or any other treatment? 

Rico

I think better is simple massage and laser therapy (however only low energy for a proper amount of time, high energy block nerve function. Read about this and choose good therapist). This is all what you can do and it may help ony a little. You will never get 100%....at this point - little too late to boost regeneration...but worth a try. Perhaps you will get additional 5% - max 10%... but not big  chances

aj08229

tried laser therapy once , not a difference ,but it may vary from person to person , is the acupuncture making any difference for you?

Rico

I have never tried acupuncture, but I have mild compression of the nerve due overlooked fracture. In my case, I felt difference after long acting cortisteroid injection + laser therapy.  How many sessions of laser therapy you had ?

Serra

• Private
Re: Nerve Damage - anyone heard of treatment for this. Acupunture or any other
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2015, 06:38:17 PM »
I haven't tried this yet, but long term supplementation of acetyl l-carnitine may be worth a try. There are studies on it with conclusive results that it helps in reducing neuropathy.

aj08229

I haven't tried this yet, but long term supplementation of acetyl l-carnitine may be worth a try. There are studies on it with conclusive results that it helps in reducing neuropathy.

anybody tried ?

Serra

• Private
anybody tried ?

I was taking a little for a month after my last surgery several months ago. Also alpha lipoid acid.
Not enough of either though. Apparently you need 600mg a day of ALA and it's 6 weeks before any perceivable benefit. I had multiple surgeries in the same place in the span of a few months and have sensation but have a stiff tingling/cold "burning" feeling in the middle of my bottom lip. I never went completely numb though and the tingling seems the same as before my last surgery. I would think these supplements need to be taken at high doses for a bare minimum of 6 months to say whether or not they help with regeneration. Other things to increase circulation to the area on a daily basis might help with healing too on a long term basis, such as putting dilutions of essential oils, but I can't say I've done that more than a few times. You do feel it though.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2015, 02:23:05 AM by Serra »

aj08229

I was taking a little for a month after my last surgery several months ago. Also alpha lipoid acid.
Not enough of either though. Apparently you need 600mg a day of ALA and it's 6 weeks before any perceivable benefit. I had multiple surgeries in the same place in the span of a few months and have sensation but have a stiff tingling/cold "burning" feeling in the middle of my bottom lip. I never went completely numb though and the tingling seems the same as before my last surgery. I would think these supplements need to be taken at high doses for a bare minimum of 6 months to say whether or not they help with regeneration. Other things to increase circulation to the area on a daily basis might help with healing too on a long term basis, such as putting dilutions of essential oils, but I can't say I've done that more than a few times. You do feel it though.
Got somewhat similar feeling like you described . i guess we're on same page
can you elaborate what things are helping or improving things for you with the lower lip?

treevernal

• Private
I recently heard it can take up to 7 years for nerves to fully regenerate.  Not sure how accurate that is but if it's true then all hope is not lost for feeling to return.

Serra

• Private
Got somewhat similar feeling like you described . i guess we're on same page
can you elaborate what things are helping or improving things for you with the lower lip?

I can't say I've had any great improvement. I can barely feel the difference in sensation when I put an object on my bottom lip in the normal area vs the desensitized area, but that pins and needles feeling is pretty annoying. This is going to sound funny, but when I want some mild, temporary relief from that feeling, I use a French green clay mask for 40 min or apply jojoba oil with a drop of geranium oil.

ForeverDet

I recently heard it can take up to 7 years for nerves to fully regenerate.  Not sure how accurate that is but if it's true then all hope is not lost for feeling to return.

It would be amazing if my partial numbness went away or was at least reduced. Even if it took several more years. I'm 2 years post-op and my lower lip, gums and chin are affected. I always say it's a side-effect that I don't think about much which is true... but I would still like it if it was gone! I'm certain half my lower lip will be forever like this as I had a sliding genio before double jaw surgery and in that 6 year gap, it never improved. 

Rico

Re: Nerve Damage - anyone heard of treatment for this. Acupunture or any other
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2015, 03:34:07 AM »
I have total numbness after surgery. The surgeon told me the nerve was just stretched, not cut. I had hope to have minimal or half of the feeling. It's 13 days since surgery. When I should expect first improve ?