Author Topic: What is it like in the O.R.?  (Read 966 times)

soccerboy9

What is it like in the O.R.?
« on: January 19, 2015, 07:57:23 AM »
Hi everyone,

I was wondering what it is like when you first enter the O.R. for jaw surgery?

If anyone remembers this part of the experience, could you please recount it for me. I'm having double jaw surgery in 2.5 months and I'm REALLY nervous about it.

Thanks,

-soccerboy9

yxcvb

Re: What is it like in the O.R.?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2015, 10:49:09 AM »
Don't be nervous about it. I actually had a great experience in the OR. They wheel you in with your bed and then you climb to the operating table. There will be multiple nurses and surgeons around, also another doctor who is responsible for anesthesia. As this is a pre-planned surgery people will be relaxed and probably will be laughing/joking with you, as this is not a life-or-death emergency kind of situation you see on tv. Your maxfac surgeon will most likely tell you that everything will be okay and they are ready and dont worry. After that the anesthesiologist will start putting you to sleep. Thats a very fast thing, I was "out" in like a minute or two after they started it.

You wont remember anything, you'll wake up in your bed feeling no pain even several hours after the surgery.

Before the whole procedure the anesthesiologist will also interview you about any known health problems. If you're young (like less than 60) and have no major health problems you shouldnt be afraid of all this, they are experts trained for several years to do what they do.  ;)

Langpam

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2015, 12:45:17 PM »
Yes, I agree. No need to be nervous. My experience was also really good. There were nice smiling doctors, and the surgeon in their scrubs? They made me feel at ease. Then the anaesthetist told me she had been working with the surgeon for a long time and that he had also operated on her ( she had been in a road accident). She looked very attractive and told me to think of a pleasant picture. The next thing I knew I was back in my room. Didn't notice a thing.
You'll be fine.

nrelax11

• Private
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2015, 02:26:10 PM »
They gave me a strong ass like benzo IVed right before I went into the operating room. I was like glowing as I went in lol, so I wasnt really anxious at all. He had his whole team in the O.R. and they were all friendly and welcoming

soccerboy9

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2015, 06:56:17 AM »
Does anyone have any pictures/videos showing what I might expect?

ForeverDet

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2015, 01:33:30 AM »
As I got into the OR I made sure to make a cheesy joke right before going under, I mean how often do you get an audience who not only can't leave you but also have to laugh (real or not) because you're about to get your jaws re-arranged?

Seriously though, it's like 30 seconds of being wheeled in the room and you see all the people involved, the machines and they'll say something like telling you to count to ten. Then BAM! You wake up and it's over. Don't sweat it.