Author Topic: Swelling  (Read 5555 times)

Joy

• Private
Swelling
« on: February 06, 2013, 07:44:53 PM »
Has anyone experienced substantial amounts of swelling for months after jaw surgery?  Almost everyone that I have read about says that their swelling is gone within 6-8 weeks or so.

Marisama

• Private
Re: Swelling
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2013, 09:37:21 PM »
I'm definitely still swollen at 10 weeks, especially around my nose and lower jaw osteotomy site.

CK

• Private
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2013, 10:02:09 PM »
obvious (visible) should be gone by 6 months at the latest...

CK

• Private
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2013, 01:53:58 AM »
i couldnt move my lips for quite awhile too. lots and lots of scar tissue below the gums.

treevernal

• Private
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2013, 09:55:44 AM »
I had a lot of BMP used in both my upper and lower jaws due to my thin bones.  They told me the BMP takes a long time to go down in terms of swelling; I can feel these hard lumps on my mandible by the osteotomy site.  Also they did quite a large vertical genio (my chin was short) so yeah my face is full of bmp but its not a big deal.  I don't get too many weird looks though but i do look swollen.

treevernal

• Private
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2013, 10:29:35 AM »
Arnett said he'd be using it in my upper jaw only but once in surgery, he saw I was a 'high risk' (higher chance of relapse) patient due to my thin bones in my mandible too that he had to use it there as well.

treevernal

• Private
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2013, 10:57:19 AM »
However, I don't think thin means not dense.  You could have thin bones that are dense. 

Lazlo

• Private
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2013, 10:16:41 PM »
I had a lot of BMP used in both my upper and lower jaws due to my thin bones.  They told me the BMP takes a long time to go down in terms of swelling; I can feel these hard lumps on my mandible by the osteotomy site.  Also they did quite a large vertical genio (my chin was short) so yeah my face is full of bmp but its not a big deal.  I don't get too many weird looks though but i do look swollen.

Hi T, I have a few questions about BMP. To your knowledge does it result in augmentation of the bone or just helps healing? I'm asking because I read and posted a link where it discussed the use of BMP to create cheekbones on a person who had very shallow cheekbones (I assume that involved an osteotomy plus use of BMP to create some growth?). I'm a bit confused. Are the hard lumps permanent? Are they an overgrowth of bone caused by BMP?  Do you feel it on the chin as well? And by the way how is your sensation in the lower jaw/chin, lips etc? If you've discussed this all before then could you provide the link to that thread please. Sorry for the onslaught of questions, but I didn't know you already had surgery. Thanks.

pekay

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2013, 02:25:35 PM »
So I went to get my hair highlighted today.   The first time I have gone anywhere besides work since surgery.  My stylist told me I look like Sloth from the Goonies... Yeah... 3 months post op today....65k well spent

This could be an age thing, young people tend to heal faster (overall). How old are you? Have you talked to your surgeon about this? from what I've gathered at 4 months or so most of the swelling (80%+) should be gone, wait another month  ;D
Chopsticks > Spoons

Cmonster

• Private
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2013, 02:31:01 PM »
Awww Joy, Im sure you do not look like Sloth from the Goonies, if that were the case its time to go after your surgeon! I think people pre-op think either they will heal faster than normal or dont understand that having your face sawed and moved around is severely traumatic for the body! It takes time for it to cope and recover, way after we've mentally got it figured out. Women typically hold onto the swelling significantly longer than men do, so that is another thing! You will be fine Joy, I know its tough that your face you see in the mirror isnt exactly what you want to see, but it will come together when the swelling subsides! Hugs :)
We have to continually be jumping off cliffs and developing our wings on the way down.

treevernal

• Private
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2013, 02:38:01 PM »
Hi T, I have a few questions about BMP. To your knowledge does it result in augmentation of the bone or just helps healing? I'm asking because I read and posted a link where it discussed the use of BMP to create cheekbones on a person who had very shallow cheekbones (I assume that involved an osteotomy plus use of BMP to create some growth?). I'm a bit confused. Are the hard lumps permanent? Are they an overgrowth of bone caused by BMP?  Do you feel it on the chin as well? And by the way how is your sensation in the lower jaw/chin, lips etc? If you've discussed this all before then could you provide the link to that thread please. Sorry for the onslaught of questions, but I didn't know you already had surgery. Thanks.

Sorry I didn't see this before!  Bmp was not used cosmetically, only to help fill in the gaps where more grafts are needed but there is not enough to harvest.  The hard lumps are slowly going away and will eventually go away completely.  There will be no overgrowth of bone, it will heal to normal form (Arnett told me this yesterday).  Oh, and I do not feel it on the chin (not even sure if he used it there).  Sensation is good everywhere except for numbness in my chin and lower lip. Some slight sensitivity in the nasal tip but that's gotten better with time.  I can feel along my jawline until I reach my chin.