Author Topic: Can the palate broaden with age?  (Read 3462 times)

needadvancement

Can the palate broaden with age?
« on: January 31, 2015, 08:00:09 AM »
I've read people's claims who say that they have witnessed people naturally developing a wider palate as they aged. I can't find any sort of studies on this though so I'd like to hear your thoughts. Also if it is true then would it be impossible if I get ortho work done and have to apply retainers for pretty much forever?

notrain

• Private
Re: Can the palate broaden with age?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2015, 08:10:12 AM »
not possible without surgery after you're done growing.

needadvancement

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2015, 08:27:17 AM »
You're probably right. I'm talking a timeline of decades though and they do say your facial bones change as you age.

notrain

• Private
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2015, 02:35:25 AM »
of course they change as you age - for the worse :D

FWIW i think i read that transverse development of the palate ends before you turn twelve.

Nataliepryor

• Private
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2015, 02:54:29 AM »
I have been told that when my 7 yo son has his RPE fitted, for expanding his top palate, that sometimes the bottom jaw can 'follow suit' somewhat, as he grows.

But this won't expand as you age, if anything you narrow in the face with age. Maybe their round face became more oval shape, which makes their palate appear wider??

needadvancement

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2015, 05:27:53 AM »
Thanks for the confirmation, I can get this out of my head now as I continue my ortho treatments. I had this silly hope in the back of my mind. It's too bad I'll always have a somewhat narrow palate and I can't get SARPE because my bite would be ruined.

Nataliepryor

• Private
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2015, 01:59:40 AM »
Why can't you have SAPRE? I have read some blogs where patients wear braces simultaneously so the bite does not end up in turmoil.

needadvancement

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2015, 02:28:41 AM »
My mandible is too narrow, my palate is already wider and currently fits perfectly on my bite.

I would need to get both broadened and as far as I know I can't get a SARPE-like surgery for the bottom jaw.

Nataliepryor

• Private
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2015, 03:28:52 AM »
Oh ok, fair enough.  My bottom was wider so now they match.

notrain

• Private
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2015, 06:57:17 AM »

I would need to get both broadened and as far as I know I can't get a SARPE-like surgery for the bottom jaw.

it exists but it is highly unstable.

needadvancement

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2015, 08:19:43 AM »
I really should have had a palate expander in my early teens. From what I've read, the lower arch will simultaneously expand a bit with the upper arch for children. It may have been able to develop my jaws much better than what I ended up with.

terry947

« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2015, 09:43:58 PM »
@needadvancement - expansion at any age is possible. Bones aren't some dead set in stone thing, they're always changing. You can get actual palatal (not teeth tipping expansion) over 1-2 years of 5-10mm. As for the mandible it'll take longer but I don't see why it can't expand over the years with some kind of appliance. Theres also distraction osteogenesis, but no one here as had it and supposedly if you get it the incisors in the mandible have a risk of falling out. Thats the only surgical way or expanding the mandible. Palatal expansion naturally just takes way way longer than surgery.

heres a link talking about it: https://www.linkedin.com/groups/Slow-expansion-in-adults-does-4289021.S.113996449?_mSplash=1

needadvancement

« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2015, 12:37:44 AM »
Thanks for the link terry I'll look into it.