Author Topic: Osteoplasty + Hardware Removal  (Read 1543 times)

jusken

• Private
Osteoplasty + Hardware Removal
« on: February 01, 2015, 02:11:27 PM »
Hey guys,

As some of you know I had double jaw surgery with Gunson about 1.5 years ago now.  The main reason I am speaking to Gunson about another procedure is because of the hardware near my nose.  It sticks out maybe 2mm from the bone and sort of straddles my nose.  When I talk or smile, I can actually see the plates, and my nose basically rides up on the plates there.  It bothers me a lot, but I haven't heard of too many complaints about this... is it that my plates protrude more than most? 

As a secondary issue, I spoke with Gunson about performing an osteoplasty (or shaving of the bone on the mandible).  This isn't a huge concern, but might as well do it at the same time I guess.  I do have some bumpiness there from the original surgery which is at times noticeable.

My main concern is any added risk from any of this.  I don't want additional numbness or swelling that takes a long time to go down (though I know there is a risk of complication with any surgery).  I'm going to ask a lot of questions about this, but I have a feeling these sorts of things aren't done a lot - so maybe the infrequency of these procedures might add to the risk?  What do you think?  Has anyone done any of these things here?

molestrip

• Private
Re: Osteoplasty + Hardware Removal
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2015, 03:27:14 PM »
Sounds reasonable. Nerves are everywhere so I don't think you can really be certain but you should be stretching or cutting any major nerves this time around. You might end up with some small patches that are less sensitive. Swelling can definitely happen and will take a few weeks to go down. It doesn't happen a lot, a few percent of the time, but it happens. I wouldn't worry about it too much.