Author Topic: Steep mandibular plane angles?  (Read 33987 times)

x

• Private
Re: Steep mandibular plane angles?
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2013, 03:53:44 PM »
You're not going to convince me with two articles/links

Try 10+ peer reviewed journals and we will talk
2 is greater than your 0.

The first article references more than 80 other articles in it's compilation of information.

pekay

« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2013, 04:28:03 PM »
This is pseudo-science at it's finest, I don't think you understand that people are BORN with prognathism or retrognathism but if you want to continue believing this little fairy-tale go ahead, I'm sure that you also believe in vaccines causing autism (lol)

Chopsticks > Spoons

x

• Private
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2013, 04:31:56 PM »
This is pseudo-science at it's finest, I don't think you understand that people are BORN with prognathism or retrognathism but if you want to continue believing this little fairy-tale go ahead, I'm sure that you also believe in vaccines causing autism (lol)

>claims pseudoscience
>makes unsupported claim

Anyone with half a brain will recognize your pathetic appeal to ridicule.

pekay

« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2013, 04:42:22 PM »
Yes I'm sure that Dr. Kaban and the entire Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery at Harvard School enjoys performing jaw distraction and/or double jaw on CHILDREN and PRE-TEENS when they could easily "fix" their problems by giving them a turbinectomy and septoplasty thus ensuring that they will grow up to have perfectly jaw alignment and let's not forget the daily dose of Flintstone vitamins.
Chopsticks > Spoons

CK

• Private
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2013, 05:14:22 PM »
I don't see why that would have been an issue, I've seen dozens of video blogs and before/after pictures of young teenagers (16-17) who went through double jaw surgery without a hitch also it's no coincidence that the best results that you see online are of young people but you're right nothing good can come out of fretting over the past

i agree, earlier the better if abnormal growth is discovered.

Cmonster

• Private
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2013, 07:48:13 PM »
From what I've heard in most cases its an absolute no-no to operate on the jaws when the patient is still growing. This will cause relapse and most certainly another surgery years down the line. I was told in my case that I needed surgery when I was 15, but had to wait a few years to ensure I was done growing...

Certain cases can be handled at a much younger age, while you are actively growing with headgear and such.

Steep mandibular plane angles or the gonial angle can be a result of several factors into play . IMO, Part of it is genetic, but when it comes to environment elements, I've heard people who are thumb suckers, mouth breathers can be partially responsible for steep gonial angles. In my case for example my upper jaw grew too fast (too much gums) and pushed my lower jaw at a weird angle which makes it very steep.
We have to continually be jumping off cliffs and developing our wings on the way down.

pekay

« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2013, 06:24:16 AM »
just so we are clear...

these two teenagers mouth-breathed their way into a retrognathic profile?

Chopsticks > Spoons

x

• Private
« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2013, 07:42:29 AM »
just so we are clear...

these two teenagers mouth-breathed their way into a retrognathic profile?

I don't know because I don't know their case, but I wouldn't think so. Most mouth breathing cases I've seen have more slight retrognathia, and I thinik their issue wasn't a naturally retrognathic mandible but one that was pushed out of position by maxilla growth

pekay

« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2013, 07:46:19 AM »
You don't have enough torque in your mouth or nose to reshape bone with air
You're just too arrogant to admit that your genes were predisposed to shape your face the way it currently is
Chopsticks > Spoons

x

• Private
« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2013, 07:57:01 AM »
You don't have enough torque in your mouth or nose to reshape bone with air
[citation needed]

You're just too arrogant to admit that your genes were predisposed to shape your face the way it currently is
ad hominem that further proves you don't have any studies to support your 'mouth breathing is bulls**t' theory. I don't give a s**t what random guy on internet thinks, who the f**k are you and why should I believe anything you say? Because you said so? Get a grip, all I know about you is you're one of the guys who drifted over from puahate, bitter as anyone about your inadequacies in life, but manifesting that bitterness by flaming people over the internet.

If you're currently fellating to the thought of getting me angry about 's**tty genes', you're gonna be sorely disappointed that the thought doesn't bother me in the slightest.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2013, 08:10:11 AM by x »

pekay

« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2013, 08:42:16 AM »
I'm not bitter over anything, you're the one constantly b*tching and moaning over your long philtrum, flat cheeks, microgenia, vertical maxillary excess, etc... whereas my threads are either pure trollery or informative, but good luck prolonging the inevitable = that you were not born attractive and will remain that way, it's not like jaw surgery will do you much for you anyway it ain't a magic pill that automatically turns you into a hunk pal!

and here are your citations:

The problem is often a hereditary trait that runs in some families. Injuries during early childhood can cause jaw deformities, particularly when the end of a developing jawbone is broken and heals improperly. Severe trauma such as a gunshot wound can cause jaw deformities, as can bone infections and certain diseases involving hormonal imbalances. Radiation and surgical treatments for oral cancer may also produce jaw deformities.

Epidemiological studies have shown that around 20% of the world?s population suffers from some major maxillofacial deformity. In some cases, the severity is so high that it influences their facial proportion; finally, 5% can be considered to have a physical disability. Approximately 12% of the American population has class II malocclusion, whereas class-III occurs in 1% of this society of which 33% are candidates for surgery

Malocclusion and other deformities in facial skeletal components may be acquired or hereditary. Indeed, genetics plays an important role in maxillofacial deformities. Hereditary patterns such as familial adherence to a prognathic or retrognathic mandible are often seen in patients with such deformities. However, multifactorial characteristics of facial development make it difficult to predict a genetic pattern in a specific maxillofacial deformity, but epidemiological evaluations can reveal relationships between such deformities and some genetic characteristics or accompanied diseases which will help to recognise and treat them.
Chopsticks > Spoons

stupidjaws

• CFO
  • The panic the vomit the yuppies networking
« Reply #26 on: February 15, 2013, 09:02:18 AM »
guys...chill!

Modigliani

• Private
« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2013, 09:34:18 AM »
Team X  :D

Lazlo

• Private
« Reply #28 on: February 15, 2013, 10:24:39 AM »
who gives a s**t what complex series of determinations caused it --I just want to know how to fix it.

And as for the question of "steep mandibular plane," --I bet there's a way to shape it through surgery and grafting alone, DO, rather than having to use medpor.
I read an interesting study recently in the field of behavioral economics. If two treatement options are present for a surgeon they'll usually choose the better one, but if more than two exist, then surgeons we'll
always just go to their default, even though this third, new option may be better.

Let me let all of you guys in on something, surgeons aren't spending time at home(or in their offices) studying your case, agonizing over the details, exerting themselves over how to produce the best aesthetic results for you.
They make rapid fire decisions, in the moment, sometimes during the surgery itself and maybe for a couple of hours the day before. That's why it's really, really important to do all your homework and figure out what all the best treatment options are. Did any of you know that mandibular widening was an option? I didn't until a few weeks ago --it's just that there aren't many surgeons practiced in doing it.

Ask some surgeons about a high lefort --and they'll tell you it's dangerous, whereas others who are practiced in it, do it routinely. DO? Well, you've even further narrowed down the pool.
Throughout all of this I've come to realize a lot more is possible through this surgery than the average max fac knows or is capable of doing.

stupidjaws

• CFO
  • The panic the vomit the yuppies networking
« Reply #29 on: February 15, 2013, 10:43:58 AM »
what actually is a high lefort? please "illuminate me"!

I'm getting CCW rotation. what's better for typical mild II class mouth breathers ?