Author Topic: Mouth width/arch width correlation  (Read 2691 times)

needadvancement

Mouth width/arch width correlation
« on: March 07, 2015, 02:33:19 PM »
I was thinking that people with wide arches generally have a wide smile regardless. But I've seen people with wide smiles and narrow palates. Is the width of the mouth(at rest and during smiles) purely genetic or do the facial muscles and lips develop depending on the development of your arches and teeth?

Nataliepryor

• Private
Re: Mouth width/arch width correlation
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2015, 12:18:44 AM »
I would say genetic.

Case in point, my  mother has big teeth / wide mouth. Father small mouth/small teeth. Me medium mouth, big teeth, small upper palate.

needadvancement

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2015, 04:48:31 PM »
but I am not sure if this is because of the position of my maxilla or if the facial muscles are this way genetically. I must say that when I smile my mouth does not open much, neither when I talk. so even if my maxilla was lowered I doubt it would get much better. I would actually have to open my mouth and lower my mandible on purpose and only then would i have good incisor show. Am I way off here or true?

PloskoPlus

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2015, 06:57:40 PM »
but I am not sure if this is because of the position of my maxilla or if the facial muscles are this way genetically. I must say that when I smile my mouth does not open much, neither when I talk. so even if my maxilla was lowered I doubt it would get much better. I would actually have to open my mouth and lower my mandible on purpose and only then would i have good incisor show. Am I way off here or true?

You may have a long upper lip.  In which case a lip lift can do wonders.

needadvancement

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2015, 07:41:18 PM »
You may have a long upper lip.  In which case a lip lift can do wonders.

Interesting solution, unfortunately I may not be a candidate because my upperlip is already somewhat prominent.

PloskoPlus

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2015, 08:14:49 PM »
Interesting solution, unfortunately I may not be a candidate because my upperlip is already somewhat prominent.

It may be possible to shorten the upper lip without increase in vermillion show.

needadvancement

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2015, 04:37:17 PM »
It may be possible to shorten the upper lip without increase in vermillion show.

Hmm, I'm looking into it. Very good suggestion, it seems like an easy and cheap surgery with high success rate and minimal scarring etc.

I wonder if other people here have done this? It seems like this procedure could go hand in hand with jaw surgery for some cases.

terry947

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2015, 05:22:49 PM »
Ya I might have to do this If I get an impaction for the CCW rotation. I just measured my upper lip length and its 18mm not sure if thats long.

needadvancement

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2015, 01:58:59 AM »
^I'm picturing you with thick lips lol. I'm not sure how do you measure this?

PloskoPlus

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2015, 02:40:38 AM »
Ya I might have to do this If I get an impaction for the CCW rotation. I just measured my upper lip length and its 18mm not sure if thats long.

Doesn't seem excessive. IMO, the chin height to upper lip ratio (2/3 to 1/3) is also very important.  Look at George Clooney.  A lip lift is not a trivial operation, and cannot be undone.  It can literally ruin a man.  But in general good looking young dudes have short upper lips.

terry947

« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2015, 07:35:29 AM »
Hmmm I see. I guess the best thing would be to wait a couple of months post op to see if you need to shorten upper lip.

Also I measured from the bottom of my nose to the top of the upper lip.

needadvancement

« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2015, 07:57:10 AM »
I measured too and mine is also 18mm in the middle, about 15mm on the 'triangles' of the upperlip though. I too will first wait and see what my first surgery will do to correct my incisor show.