Author Topic: Keller retired...  (Read 5496 times)

LoveofScotch

Re: Keller retired...
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2015, 10:11:49 PM »
Interesting about insurance in Australia; I didn't know that.

I'll send you a PM, PP.

Gregor Samsa

« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2015, 01:58:49 PM »
Our health care costs have exploded (although I would imagine this is occurring pretty much everywhere), and there's no end in sight.

The main reason why the healthcare costs are so high in the US is because the entire system is corrupt. Hospitals pay as much as a 10,000% premium on stuff just because they're required by law to use "health grade" stuff and money is siphoned away in every step of the process. Americans spend almost twice as much on healthcare per capita compared to other developed countries but what do you get back in return?

molestrip

• Private
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2015, 02:43:53 PM »
Corrupt isn't the right word, inefficient. We're actually twice as expensive as the next most expensive country, Germany. Consumer Reports did a nice analysis during the Obamacare debate and the growth largely came in 3 categories: doctors, drugs, and hospitals. Others say it's because we put too much effort into the last 1-2 years of life.

Alue

• Private
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2015, 01:13:14 PM »
Corrupt isn't the right word, inefficient. We're actually twice as expensive as the next most expensive country, Germany. Consumer Reports did a nice analysis during the Obamacare debate and the growth largely came in 3 categories: doctors, drugs, and hospitals. Others say it's because we put too much effort into the last 1-2 years of life.

Too many entities wanting a piece of the pie.  It's a mess and it's only getting worse.  You can't leave out insurances companies, although Obamacare tried to address some if it, it's not making the problem any better.
I'm actually of the opinion that most doctors deserve their high pay, the cost of becoming a physician in the US is huge and the cost of spending so many years to become on without making much of an income adds up.   Money is actually why some surgeons choose not to be in network with any provider, the insurance companies simply do not pay them enough.  Sure A&G have inflated rates, but I have seen surgeons with very reasonable rates that choose not to be in network with any provider. 

The problem now with Obamacare is, a lot of insurance policies are revising their exclusionary criteria for covering jaw surgery, and it's going in the direction that fewer people will be granted coverage as the criteria is becoming stricter.  There are state by state mandates that regulate what insurance companies can do and what they can deny, however, I don't think many of them address jaw surgery.   In general, insurance companies will not want to pay, they aren't there to hand out money.