Author Topic: Is it worth it?  (Read 1783 times)

jdanie12

Is it worth it?
« on: February 27, 2015, 05:38:30 PM »
I am 34 years old.   Have had this my whole life, but I finally have the means to do something about it.  I would like to hear from people who have had the surgery.   Is it worth getting to correct it?   Big decision here and I would love your input.  Pics attached.

[attachment deleted by admin]

[attachment deleted by admin]

PloskoPlus

Re: Is it worth it?
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2015, 09:30:33 PM »
It may not be easy to fix.

Ginger

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2015, 08:36:31 AM »
Hi jdanie -- have you already consulted with a surgeon(s)? What are they looking at doing? It looks like the asymmetry will need to be corrected on the lower jaw to get your chin centered, and probably the cant on the upper jaw will need to be straightened out as well. I'm in a somewhat similar situation.

I think if it bothers you, it would be worth it.

Modigliani

• Private
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2015, 01:48:14 PM »
Nope, it won't have the impact you're hoping for.

To put it another way, if it goes wrong which it often does, you have a lot to lose. The risk is not worth the possible gain.

jdanie12

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2015, 07:55:27 PM »
I have had some consults and was leaning toward getting the surgery because i found some good surgeons in Los Angeles.  I have realistic expectations.  But the risks are converning.  Persistent numbness in some area of the face seemed to be the only big risk unless it was truly botched.  Which, if i have really good surgeons, i'd like to think it wouldn't be botched.  Is it worth it with really good surgeons?  What are some realistic risks?

molestrip

• Private
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2015, 02:47:48 PM »
You see it from time to time. Most people just get used to it. I'd say if it's causing you functional problems it'd be worth addressing. It's not a risky case but asymmetries generally need volume providers to fix.

Chelie

• Private
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2015, 12:19:39 AM »
Even with excellent surgeons in a reputable hospital there's still a chance of a seriously botched surgery.

Tom2

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2015, 02:10:14 PM »
Risk.   It will always be there.    For me, I got to the point where the risk was something I was willing to deal with as not having the surgery was going to end up in complications.       So, when I balanced what was coming my way vs the risk of correction - I finally chose correction.     I had a long time to think about it as I am doing this as an adult like you are....

Is it worth it?     I'm 12 days post op.      I have a long way to go on recovery but I'd like to think so far - yes.