Author Topic: Recovery  (Read 3673 times)

NStich

Recovery
« on: April 15, 2015, 04:31:49 AM »
I go back to see Dr. Saal for my second post op appointment today after maxillary impaction with Lefort I osteotomy.  My bite is perfect.  I saw my orthodontist yesterday and he is very pleased.  I only wear two rubber bands at night and will go in next week for new wires.  My pain is almost completely gone and finally the bloody nasal discharge is over.  I'd say my recovery is a 9 on a scale of 1 to 10.  Not bad for a 55 year old. ;D

needadvancement

Re: Recovery
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2015, 06:39:10 AM »
I'm starting to see a pattern where older patients are recovering better than a lot of the younger ones.

NStich

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2015, 03:17:36 PM »
I think the key no matter how old you are is to prepare for the surgery and do everything you can to support healing.  I did a few things before surgery that I think helped.  I gave up alcohol and caffeine and started reducing salt and sugar.  I also made getting rest and adequate sleep a priority before the surgery.  About one month before the surgery I started taking a vitamin D supplement.  I am still taking that as well as a bromelain supplement.

All the folks who have posted here helped me tremendously in my predation and recovery.

Peace and healing, Nancy

terry947

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2015, 09:18:58 PM »
nice, it could me that older patients are more health conscious. Food in medicine and it definitely helps in the healing process. Good overall health is also important in healing.

Lazlo

• Private
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2015, 09:46:45 PM »
good stuff and very smart advice.

needadvancement

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2015, 08:56:24 AM »
I think the key no matter how old you are is to prepare for the surgery and do everything you can to support healing.  I did a few things before surgery that I think helped.  I gave up alcohol and caffeine and started reducing salt and sugar.  I also made getting rest and adequate sleep a priority before the surgery.  About one month before the surgery I started taking a vitamin D supplement.  I am still taking that as well as a bromelain supplement.

All the folks who have posted here helped me tremendously in my predation and recovery.

Peace and healing, Nancy

coincidence I actually bought vitamine D recently. I'll be taking them before and after my surgery next month. I don't know about bromelain supps is that legit? And why reduce salt and sugar.

NStich

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2015, 12:47:32 PM »
My thoughts on salt and sugar are that salt contributes to fluid retention.  Knowing swelling is a key part of the post surgical recovery I wanted to avoid things that were loaded with salt well in advance of the surgery.  I have also read that sugar is inflammatory and again, I wanted to avoid anything inflammatory.

I read about the bromelain on another jaw surgery blog and had some on hand.  My son has rheumatoid arthritis and he believes it is helpful in reducing inflammation.  He actually brought over a bottle for my husband months ago so I just commandeered it.  I can't offer any research based support for its use.  However, my recovery is going so well and my swelling is minimal so I am passing it along.  As always, everyone needs to do their own research and then decide what they think will help.  The person who recommended the bromelain also recommended vitamin C. I am not using vitamin C supplements but I think that is probably a good idea as vitamin C does have some impact on oral tissue health.  I just didn't have any on hand but it might help with incision healing.  My incision appears to be healing beautifully.

needadvancement

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2015, 02:42:11 PM »
Thanks for the tips, I'll be using it for myself soon.

NStich

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2015, 05:04:58 PM »
When is your surgery?

needadvancement

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2015, 07:26:20 PM »
In about 6 weeks. My vit D only got 30 tablets I might have to get some more.

LoveofScotch

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2015, 08:06:13 PM »
Obviously, I'm just a nobody on the internet...

Vitamin D is a fat soluble vitamin. You can't just start taking it and expect it to 'work its magic' because it takes time for your blood levels to reflect supplementation. It's not like popping some vitamin C or B vitamins which are immediately available for your body to use.

The ONLY way to know your vitamin D status is with a blood test. A doctor can do it, or you can order a test kit for home (you have to be able to prick your own finger for the home kit).

Also, if you're taking supplements, make sure to take it with a meal containing fat and ideally in an oil suspension, too. You're probably totally wasting your money if you take it on an empty tummy. Fat soluble vitamins need fat.

NStich

« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2015, 03:58:27 AM »
I did start taking vitamin D about one month before surgery and I bought a bottle of 100 gel capsules.  They are 1000ius of Vitamin D3.  I take it every morning after breakfast.  1000ius is the recommended daily allowance.  Once my 100 capsules are gone I do not plan to continue to take.  You do have to be careful with vitamins A, D, E, and K because they are fat soluble vitamins that can build up in your body. 

I did not have my levels checked but I work long hours and don't spend a lot of time out in the sunshine so I felt a supplementation during this time might be helpful.  Has it helped me to have a great recovery? Maybe.  I surely don't think it has hurt anything.

Peace and healing, Nancy

needadvancement

« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2015, 05:34:58 AM »
Obviously, I'm just a nobody on the internet...

Vitamin D is a fat soluble vitamin. You can't just start taking it and expect it to 'work its magic' because it takes time for your blood levels to reflect supplementation. It's not like popping some vitamin C or B vitamins which are immediately available for your body to use.

The ONLY way to know your vitamin D status is with a blood test. A doctor can do it, or you can order a test kit for home (you have to be able to prick your own finger for the home kit).

Also, if you're taking supplements, make sure to take it with a meal containing fat and ideally in an oil suspension, too. You're probably totally wasting your money if you take it on an empty tummy. Fat soluble vitamins need fat.

I get very little sunshine, and checking which food has vit D I'm not getting much of those either. So I'm pretty sure I'm lacking it. I'm also gonna start taking zinc.

NStich

« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2015, 06:01:56 AM »
I am offering a correction to information I posted earlier.  1000 IUs of vitamin D is 250 percent of the recommended daily allowance.  That is not a dose that anyone should take indefinitely.

Peace and healing, Nancy

dantheman

• Private
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2015, 07:12:51 AM »
1000 a day is conservative even. In the olden days 400 was the recommendation but that's changed.

Have any of you correlated any health benefits to vit d?