Author Topic: Recovery  (Read 3674 times)

LoveofScotch

Re: Recovery
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2015, 08:16:30 AM »
The RDA for vitamin D (currently between 600 and 800 IU--less if you're under 12 months) is essentially irrelevant because your blood level is what matters. If you're a lifeguard in Rio you probably don't need to take any--ever. If you live in Canada you could very well need very high doses for a period of time to both optimize and maintain your level. We also all metabolize things differently so what one person needs to both optimize and maintain their blood [25(OH)D] level is different than another person.

Yes, I personally feel better when my level is in a good place. When I'm living in Miami I don't need to take any, but when I'm living in Minneapolis I need to take handfuls. If you and your doctor choose to 'super supplement' with vitamin D you HAVE TO check your blood level because like NStich mentioned it can buildup in the body creating excessively high levels (not good).

Cheers!

molestrip

• Private
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2015, 11:56:50 AM »
The safe upper limit of vitamin D is thought to be 10k IU but doctors sometimes prescribe 50k IU megadoses to get people up quickly. The daily allowance is really low and they've been talking about raising it for a few years now. An article on CNN recently suggested they were going to multiply it by 10 even. I started with 1k IU but it only got me to 30s so I jumped up to 4k IU. I forget to take it often so it's probably more like 2k - 3k IU on average.

NStich

« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2015, 06:18:02 PM »
Good to know.  I should get my level checked.

Rico

« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2015, 02:11:55 PM »
sports for sure speed up nerves recovery

MrFox

« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2015, 02:47:02 PM »
I realised that I'd been taking too much liquid D3 recently, I'd been taking 3000 iu daily and then I also spilt half the bottle on my arm when I was studying the dose.
I've been getting bad bone aches in my knees, fingers, wrists and back since supplementing with it.

As too little vitamin D can lead to osteopenia, so too can excess.
When there is too much it leaches calcium through bone resorption.