Author Topic: Anyone know what the rate of expansion is in adults?  (Read 1337 times)

molestrip

• Private
Anyone know what the rate of expansion is in adults?
« on: April 22, 2015, 09:39:23 AM »
Given my other post about the effect of maxillary expansion on nasal congestion and that I need only a few mms, I wonder whether maxillary expansion might be a good option for me. It's pretty uncomfortable but if I can get 1-2mm a year I could hit my target in a few years. That way I'd widen the nasal cavity and avoid the risks and morbidity of a segmental procedure. Can the same be done for a reverse face pull? I only need 2mm in that direction. It all comes down to what the rate of change is for an adult and whether there are practitioners who know the right forces to get these changes in an adult. Anyone know?

babyface99

Re: Anyone know what the rate of expansion is in adults?
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2015, 10:44:15 PM »
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QCNqbvOALZI Mew is saying 1mm A WEEK go to his website apparently he does online consultations, if i had the money for it id be getting expanded and doing the  face pulling(much longer pull times than that  half hour ncr stuff). Idk if its bull s**t or not but the guy knows what hes talking about and since you only want modest movements i think it could work out for you.

terry947

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2015, 11:23:28 PM »
I've heard from a local ortho, who expanded his own upper jaw, that 7-10mm is possible over 1-2 years. Sounds crazy but I believe it. I guess we'll eventually find out because I'm going to start it soon.

Mew expands at 1mm a week

Orders do slower expansion.

To me slower expansion make sense since bones take time to change.

molestrip

• Private
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2015, 02:17:09 PM »
@27F invasive jaw surgery is unavoidable in my case. Yeah Dr Mew tried to push that on me on FB but then I mentioned how much movement I needed and he shut up quickly lol. But what can be avoided is possibly a segmental LeFort. From my other post, I'm leaning that way now. I've been told I'm borderline and it seems that way to me too.

About the appliances, my impression from research is that it works in adults, sometimes. You try it and if you're one of the lucky ones, then great. 1mm a week seems insane though. Bones don't move that quickly. Isn't that the rate for DO even? 7mm a year seems aggressive too, unless you include tooth movement. Half that I'd believe. There is a practitioner a few hours drive from here, I was considering a consult but the reaction from other othos (some whom I trust) was so negative, I don't know. I'm thinking of doing it orthodontically and if it relapses then go down this route. The bones might move over time once the teeth move anyway, at least that seems to be the case since my maxilla is pretty wide despite a long face, very atypical.

I'm considering taking my daughter to Dr Quo in CA, though. She seems to be the only well respected orthodontists treating open bites and narrow arches in young children right now. The approach in kids at least seems to be expand the maxilla and pray the mandible follows. As a girl, she's at much greater risk for TMJ so I'm very motivated to spare her that outcome if I can.