Author Topic: Jaw Surgery Jaw Asymmetry Sleep Apnea  (Read 1122 times)

bmasq

Jaw Surgery Jaw Asymmetry Sleep Apnea
« on: May 06, 2015, 12:32:35 PM »
Hi,

The left side of my jaw is longer than the right side of my jaw causing facial asymmetry.  I also have sleep apnea.  The problem is, that my bite plane is level.  My current doctor wants to perform mma surgery to correct the sleep apnea, but says he can do nothing for the asymmetry.  I am worried that by just correcting the sleep apnea by moving the jaw forward will further exacerbate the asymmetry, which I do not want. 

I am a 23 year old half Caucasian/half Chinese male.  I already have a prominent jaw line, and a sloping forehead.  I do not want to have an even more prominent jaw line and chin without correcting for asymmetry as well.   

My question is:  Is it possible to correct the facial asymmetry and sleep apnea without significantly altering the bite plane?  If not, is it possible to correct for sleep apnea and asymmetry and then use orthodontics to correct the bite plane after? 

As a child I had a symmetrical face.  Only after I got braces did these problems begin.  Also my tongue is tied (ankyloglossia) to the bottom of my mouth, I'm unsure if this had an effect on the development of my mouth.

Bottom line, I know getting the surgery will change my life, but I don't want to undergo the procedure if the asymmetry can't be fixed.  I know this is illogical, but all my life my self-esteem has been low because of this asymmetry, and honestly I'd rather have a symmetrical face and fix the bite plane after.

Any advice would be appreciated.

PloskoPlus

Re: Jaw Surgery Jaw Asymmetry Sleep Apnea
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2015, 02:42:32 AM »
You need to post pictures.