Author Topic: Does a narrow lower arch mess with speech pattern?  (Read 1046 times)

needadvancement

Does a narrow lower arch mess with speech pattern?
« on: May 13, 2015, 12:45:33 PM »
Mine is very narrow and so is my palate and I recently noticed that when I talk my tongue is constantly making contact with my teeth since there is very little room for the tongue, I can tell it feels unnatural. Any of you with wide arches, how does your tongue and teeth relation go when you speak?

I think might be the reason people have always had trouble understanding me even when I speak loud enough. But when I hear myself talk it all sounds fine but I could just be disillusioned. Is that possible to sound unclear to people yet you can hear yourself pronounce everything well?

sean89

Re: Does a narrow lower arch mess with speech pattern?
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2015, 08:29:40 PM »
I have this and notice when I try to produce certain sounds, my tongue is blocked by my teeth. I think its more important that my lower teeth come forward.

PloskoPlus

Re: Does a narrow lower arch mess with speech pattern?
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2015, 08:39:05 PM »
I have this and notice when I try to produce certain sounds, my tongue is blocked by my teeth. I think its more important that my lower teeth come forward.

I always felt like my tongue was impeded by my upper teeth.  Upper jaw moved forward, so that is no longer a problem.  Now it's the damn retainer, however.