Author Topic: Check out my blog  (Read 5506 times)

Annaorrr

Check out my blog
« on: May 17, 2015, 04:01:31 PM »
Hey all:) I went through double jaw surgery in 2011 and I have recently made a blog to give people information about my surgery and advice. Please check it out at :  http://banana2764.wix.com/jaw-breakker

Annaorrr

Re: Check out my blog
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2015, 03:54:04 AM »
Thanks!!  Yes from Scotland and super happy with the results. Has surgery in 2011 but its still a big part of my life. Are you having surgery?

Modigliani

• Private
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2015, 04:19:25 AM »
Now that's a truly life changing result, you must be thrilled, Anna!

Do you know what movements were done?

Annaorrr

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2015, 04:32:15 AM »
Thank you:) and yes!! definitely life changing! I might get this wrong however, I had my upper arch widened, my lower jaw moved back and i also had bone taken from my hip to enhance my cheek bones x

Modigliani

• Private
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2015, 08:10:40 AM »
Thank you:) and yes!! definitely life changing! I might get this wrong however, I had my upper arch widened, my lower jaw moved back and i also had bone taken from my hip to enhance my cheek bones x

Was the bone from the hip used to lower your upper jaw so that you show more teeth?

MrFox

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2015, 08:15:11 AM »
They used your hip bone to augment your cheekbones... In Scottland!? Was this private or on NHS?
You look great now congratulations.

Annaorrr

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2015, 11:53:04 AM »
Sorry I am still trying to get a hang of this sight and amen't sure how to directly reply to people. I do not have photos. However, on my blog I have uploaded videos where I show my profiles. And.. yeh bone from the hip:/. It was put into my cheeks as I had a sunken face but didn't change my bite at all. It was just another procedure they did to fix my overall profile. Anna x

Annaorrr

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2015, 11:53:48 AM »
and yes it was done through the NHS! :D

Lazlo

• Private
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2015, 01:10:02 PM »
Sorry I am still trying to get a hang of this sight and amen't sure how to directly reply to people. I do not have photos. However, on my blog I have uploaded videos where I show my profiles. And.. yeh bone from the hip:/. It was put into my cheeks as I had a sunken face but didn't change my bite at all. It was just another procedure they did to fix my overall profile. Anna x

Great result!

Goes to show you a lot of max facs are highly trained and can do way more than the regular surgery --but it's only some who feel comfortable doing such things, so you should always ask and cite such precedences.

Now the bone from the hip, if it was done simply as an overlay --may potentially resorb over time, but in fact may not. The field of max fac is very new and different doctors have different views on this.

I'm sure your measurements will be monitored over time to check if any resorption has occurred or you should just mention it to you doc to see how things have worked out.

My hope is that this great result remains throughout your life!

MrFox

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2015, 01:42:46 PM »
You're very lucky that the surgeon decided to address your cheekbones, most surgeons in Britain are only concerned about function, especially if it is being funded by the NHS.
It's really interesting that he used a bone graft for the cheekbones, its been over 3 years, have you noticed any resorption?

Annaorrr

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2015, 02:24:59 PM »
Yes I was fortunate to get such an experienced surgeon. I have never heard of resorption before but will consider looking into it as even though I trust my surgeon I should keep an eye on everything. I haven't noticed anything myself.

Annaorrr

« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2015, 02:28:22 PM »
Resorption is often worse with chin implants but due to cheek muscles and tissue being less active I think resorption will not be a problem, but thanks for the pointer   :)

Lazlo

• Private
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2015, 02:47:12 PM »
Resorption is often worse with chin implants but due to cheek muscles and tissue being less active I think resorption will not be a problem, but thanks for the pointer   :)

actually, from my understanding, resorption occurs more where the muscles and tissue DO NOT put some pressure on the bone to grow and fill in with one's own bone. But again, each case is different. You've been like 4 years out of surgery and hopefully haven't noticed anything.

MrFox

« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2015, 03:25:02 PM »
Annaorrr is talking about the resorption of the underlying bone, in which case I believe she is right.
If someone has a silicone chin implant then when the mentalis muscle activates, it will put pressure on the implant pushing into the bone.

Me and Lazlo were talking about resorption if the implant/graft itself. Some surgeons say that bone grafts to the face will resorb to some extent and unevenly... but surely you would have noticed this if it had occurred so that's positive.

I have rib cartilage implants on my cheekbones which should become my own bone in 3 years, I don't see why it would be different with a hip bone graft. If rib cartilage can integrate and become your own bone then it stands to reason that your hip bone graft will.
Did your surgeon say anything about it becoming part of your skull bone?

Annaorrr

« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2015, 03:44:07 PM »
Ah ok , so very similar surgery. What was your overall procedure? Yes, my surgeon did not mention the bone in my cheeks. However, he said mention how my jaw bone would grow together as a broken bone does but I am unsure to whether it is the same if a bone is taken from a different part of the body