Author Topic: DO in non-syndrome cases for the malar regions  (Read 792 times)

molestrip

• Private
DO in non-syndrome cases for the malar regions
« on: June 04, 2015, 02:16:27 PM »
I was poking around the literature of MGH and found this nice chapter in a textbook of theirs. Then I browsed around some of Dr Kaban and Dr Troulis's papers on Pubmed. They mention the use of DO in non-syndrome patients so those of you traveling to Dr Sinn might want to give them a look too. Other than a few references to non-syndrome cases, I would note that all of the cases they describe seem to be syndrome cases. As well, Dr Kaban's most recent paper describes MMAs for jaw surgery patients, most of which would have malar deficiencies. Not a huge number of cases but more than most surgeons would have. Dr Troulis has a paper describing the potential application of DO for sleep apnea to avoid IAV damage in older (>40) patients but that seems to be the the limit of their interest. I'm in general skeptical about DO in non-syndrome cases since many surgeons seem to try and then abandon it (even Dr Kaban says some of his patients will need jaw surgery later to refine results) but it may interesting for mid-face advancement. Why? The hardware is harder to reach if it needs to be removed later and you have a month to judge and adjust the results, rather than making one big movement and praying for the best.