Author Topic: Chin wing vs Genioplasty vs Mandible Osteotomy... Really unsure.  (Read 10769 times)

princeapalia

« Last Edit: September 19, 2017, 03:46:44 AM by princeapalia »

Vic

Re: Chin wing vs Genioplasty vs Mandible Osteotomy... Really unsure.
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2015, 04:43:45 PM »
If your bites fine then I wouldn't have Mandible Osteotomy or a chin wing.  A sliding genioplasty would achieve the aesthetics you want alone

PloskoPlus

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2015, 04:48:53 PM »
Get your bite and airway checked.  IOW, you can be a Class I because both your jaws are recessed (the airway would show this).  Although I don't think that's the case with you.  Chin wings are superior to genioplasty (although long term stability is probably less).  The labiomental fold may be fixed with a "chin visor" osteotomy.

princeapalia

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2015, 05:20:24 PM »
-
« Last Edit: September 19, 2017, 03:46:54 AM by princeapalia »

m9999

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2015, 06:14:10 PM »
Get your bite and airway checked.  IOW, you can be a Class I because both your jaws are recessed (the airway would show this).  Although I don't think that's the case with you.  Chin wings are superior to genioplasty (although long term stability is probably less).  The labiomental fold may be fixed with a "chin visor" osteotomy.

Where do you get your airway checked?

Lazlo

• Private
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2015, 07:59:20 PM »
Jesus ask your GP (general practitioner) for a referral to a sleep clinic to check for apnea. Are you people all retarded.

PloskoPlus

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2015, 09:00:50 PM »
Where do you get your airway checked?
The airway size should also be visible in a lateral ceph.

PloskoPlus

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2015, 09:53:46 PM »
I haven't heard anything about a chin visor, not can find much on the internet. Have you got any more information about it? I was leaning more towards a genioplasty preference, because from what I can tell it's a lot cheaper and less 'cutting' is required.

Will genioplasty alone help to improve my submental area even slightly? Or would that be out of the question unless I got something like submental lipectomy to get my desired jawline?
Genioplasty often has a step off.  Does nothing to the ramus.  Have a look on Triacas website.  In one of the papers there is a picture of a chin visor.

jaws

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2015, 04:05:21 AM »
Did you have an overbite before braces? It seems like you might have had your two maxillary teeth extracted and your bone deformity masked.

Your upper lip curves backwards which indicates maxillary hypoplasia. Your labiomental angle is obtuse and genioplasty would make it even so. I'm not a doctor and without seeing your X-Ray this is just a guess but LF1+BSSO might be the best option and the best compromise would be a chin wing osteotomy.

More knowledgeable posters can correct the mistaked I made.  ;)

notrain

• Private
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2015, 05:37:45 AM »
lateral ceph of your skull would be helpful, but it looks like your lower jaw is recessed and you have a deep bite malocclusion.

really only adressible with braces and jawsurgery.

princeapalia

« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2015, 10:45:11 AM »
-
« Last Edit: September 19, 2017, 03:47:04 AM by princeapalia »

Lestat

« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2017, 05:05:10 AM »
Chin wings are superior to genioplasty (although long term stability is probably less).

Really? Are you sure about that (long term stability)?

needadvancement

« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2017, 06:09:03 AM »
Thanks guys, I'm going to look at getting my sleep and airways checked soon.

One question- If I don't have have an airway problem, do you think the result below would be possible with standalone genioplasty? (Ignore the nose change)

Yes, but with the genioplasty you need to have vertical length added as well. Go to a good surgeon who can perform a significant SG movement where he advances the chin forward as well as downwards. That btw will also improve the angle of your neck/chin line, a standard SG with forward movement wouldn't be enough.

That would be the easiest and cheapest(and least risky) way to get a satisfying result that you're looking for.

CCW

« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2017, 11:42:38 AM »
Both of OP's jaws are clearly recessed. His nose is fine, but it appears big due to his recessed maxilla that doesn't support it properly. The chin looks good and probably wouldn't even need to be touched if he got jaw surgery. Aesthetically, CCW bimax would give the best result if his bite is Class I.  I would also get a sleep study done.