Author Topic: rubber bands broke on splint  (Read 2046 times)

buzzhead

rubber bands broke on splint
« on: August 07, 2015, 06:23:48 AM »
front rubber bands broke on splint.  Surgery was only this past Tuesday.  Surgeons office is an hour away and is closed on Fridays.  Can I get these at a pharmacy or can it wait until my appointment this Wednesday.  How serious is it to go without proper banding at this point?

PloskoPlus

Re: rubber bands broke on splint
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2015, 07:17:07 AM »
front rubber bands broke on splint.  Surgery was only this past Tuesday.  Surgeons office is an hour away and is closed on Fridays.  Can I get these at a pharmacy or can it wait until my appointment this Wednesday.  How serious is it to go without proper banding at this point?
One of mine broke a week after surgery.  Before surgery I was told that if one broke, I should take the other one out as well and wait till the next appointment.  Which is what I did.  I think I went 3-4 days without bands.  I got the bands from my ortho.

notrain

• Private
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2015, 08:38:18 AM »
you can get these bands (elastics to be precise) from any ortho or maxfac, usually those used post surgery are light or medium-light elastics. Just go to the nearest ortho office and ask for them, they are dirt cheap. It won't make or break the surgical result if you can't use them for a couple of days, they are just there to retrain your muscles. Not wearing them doesn't cause relapse.

Gregor Samsa

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2015, 12:13:32 PM »
One of mine broke a week after surgery.  Before surgery I was told that if one broke, I should take the other one out as well and wait till the next appointment.  Which is what I did.  I think I went 3-4 days without bands.  I got the bands from my ortho.

The same thing happened to me. I went over a week without any bands and the surgeon said it wasn't a big deal.

Lazlo

• Private
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2015, 12:54:22 PM »
Thank god for this site to help all of us --the knowledge base here is great.

buzzhead

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2015, 12:19:03 PM »
Well, I made it through several more days of recovery.  I only use the syringes now for meds.  I find that if I position the right size cup over my bottom lip and not totally seal off with my upper lip, and lean forward, I can get liquids much quicker and easier.  Practice of course helps to get better.

I sit here way over thinking my whole situation and wonder if everything that I'm doing is helping or hurting my progress and or results.  Am I moving my jaws too much,  Am I clenching, am I sleeping with too much pressure on one side or the other,  Am I eating enough, drinking enough!! LOL!! It's almost like I think my jaws are just floating there on jelly and one wrong move and everything goes wrong!  I think that this is mostly post stress coming to head now that I actually got this done.  All the doubts about possible regret and so on. 

At least I will be satiated in the fact that I did all that could be done to correct what I perceived to have been jaw defects that were made worse with earlier orthodontics.  Hopefully my sleep apnea will be controlled and maybe, just maybe, I might be more satisfied with my appearance.  OR....maybe not lol.  I guess only time will tell.

My first post op appointment is this week.  I really hope that everything is going correctly. ???

notrain

• Private
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2015, 01:05:43 PM »
if it makes you feel any better, none of your concerns are valid. the only way to mess up your jaws would be to chew something incredibly hard (like nuts) or smashing your face with a hammer.

a broken elastic or sleeping on one side of the head doesn't make any difference whatsoever. Your jaws are bolted on with Titanium plates and screws, unless there was surgical error they won't move on their own if we discount the highly unlikely event of condylar resorption.

relax and let the days go by, that's all you have to do now.

buzzhead

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2015, 01:24:30 PM »
if it makes you feel any better, none of your concerns are valid. the only way to mess up your jaws would be to chew something incredibly hard (like nuts) or smashing your face with a hammer.

a broken elastic or sleeping on one side of the head doesn't make any difference whatsoever. Your jaws are bolted on with Titanium plates and screws, unless there was surgical error they won't move on their own if we discount the highly unlikely event of condylar resorption.

relax and let the days go by, that's all you have to do now.

LOL!!  Thanks Notrain.

PloskoPlus

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2015, 01:50:19 PM »
Clenching may cause your down graft to relapse.  Valium at night may help.