Author Topic: Palatal expansion--will it make room for wisdom teeth?  (Read 2890 times)

Charles-Guillaume

Palatal expansion--will it make room for wisdom teeth?
« on: June 28, 2015, 04:37:28 PM »
Perhaps this is outside of the general area of expertise of people here, but I am inclined to ask anyway. I have two wisdom teeth, seemingly growing fairly well. If additional ones erupt, however, my palate will certainly be too narrow to sustain them.

So the question is: can palatal expansion give one, in addition to a normal (in terms of ideal human facial development) wide palate, a normal molar configuration?

Also, if anyone knows, how soon after double jaw surgery could I have my palate expanded, either by slow or rapid means? There's a clinic over in Norway that can supposedly do it the slow way (in "adults", that is).

notrain

• Private
Re: Palatal expansion--will it make room for wisdom teeth?
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2015, 12:50:07 PM »
I wouldn't mess with my bite after a successful bimax just so i could keep two maxillary wisdom teeth.

Bear in mind that you can't just expand the palate, it has to match the opposing dental arch. If your dental arch fit together nicely now (which should be the case after bimax) then palatal expansion is likely not possible.

How large were your surgical movements btw?

Lazlo

• Private
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2015, 12:59:26 PM »
Perhaps this is outside of the general area of expertise of people here, but I am inclined to ask anyway. I have two wisdom teeth, seemingly growing fairly well. If additional ones erupt, however, my palate will certainly be too narrow to sustain them.

So the question is: can palatal expansion give one, in addition to a normal (in terms of ideal human facial development) wide palate, a normal molar configuration?

Also, if anyone knows, how soon after double jaw surgery could I have my palate expanded, either by slow or rapid means? There's a clinic over in Norway that can supposedly do it the slow way (in "adults", that is).

you had bi-max without having wisdom teeth extracted? That's unusual!!!

Charles-Guillaume

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2015, 08:05:00 AM »
I wouldn't mess with my bite after a successful bimax just so i could keep two maxillary wisdom teeth.

It's just that I'm an obsessive perfectionist, and would like to have a fully developed--as nature intended--facial structure, including the wisdom teeth.  :-[

Bear in mind that you can't just expand the palate, it has to match the opposing dental arch. If your dental arch fit together nicely now (which should be the case after bimax) then palatal expansion is likely not possible.

Alright. It does seem that some clinics offer "double jaw expansion", however. My palate is certainly too narrow, as only six teeth per row are visible when smiling.

How large were your surgical movements btw?

This is something that I should, but do not know. I have contacted my surgeon for the cephs and details.

you had bi-max without having wisdom teeth extracted? That's unusual!!!

Indeed. Apparently it all fit nicely together. My palate is too narrow nonetheless, though.

This is very speculative, but I have read some very anecdotal evidence suggesting that adult palate expansion can yield slightly wider cheekbones/nasion. Correct me if I'm terribly wrong here, but wouldn't this suggest that slight expansion of the orbits for wider-set eyes could actually be doable? I would sacrifice a kidney for an additional 4 mm of space between my eyes.

This here,

...is supposedly a b&a of Neurocranial Restructuring. However, it looks extremely fake to me, as though the after is a juxtaposition of two different images of the same or similar-looking women.

Some people do claim increased pupillary distance after adult palate expansion. I haven't seen any documented evidence of this happening, though. Closest thing would be child/early teen palate expansion that certainly has the efficacy to increase PD, as is evinced by this identical twin study (that you all have probably seen a thousand times already, but anyway!):

The cranial sutures supposedly never close permanently, hence the reason that there's no practical treatment for mild hypotelorism is sheer neglect. Imagine if we had spent just a fraction of the resources utilised for building weapons of mass destruction on legitimate cranial restructuring techniques. Hot damn...

I cannot find any b&a images of surgical correction of hypotelorism, by the way, though I can find hundreds if not thousands of hypertelorism correction. People with close-set eyes are so despised and mistrusted that they won't even receive treatment for their ailment. 
« Last Edit: June 30, 2015, 08:20:01 AM by Charles-Guillaume »