Author Topic: Best surgeon for sliding genioplasty (chin wing)  (Read 4353 times)

myohmy

Best surgeon for sliding genioplasty (chin wing)
« on: July 20, 2015, 08:49:41 AM »
There's no such thing as 'the best surgeon' for every case, every patient, etc. obviously, but you'll get the picture: I'm simply searching for the surgeons that are deemed to have amazing aesthetic results performing a sliding genioplasty. And not surgeons that showcase some amazing b/a's at their website, whereas their results in general are not great, or that left some patients with (real) (aesthetic) issues, etc.
In other words, surgeons that can perform sliding genioplasty
- without having step off's as a result along the sides of the chin, as I often see, even in results of reputable surgeons.
- that reshape/shave the base of the chin nicely if needed, giving a refined result, keeping an eye on asymmetries.
- that have a good aesthetic eye with regard to measurements to ensure the chin has nice forward projection, doesn't give too much length to the face, etc.
- want to keep in mind personal aesthetic preferences at least a bit

I've seen too many not great results from a genioplasty, which makes me hesitant to undergo a genioplasty myself. Then again: I'm definitely a candidate for a sliding genioplasty.
I've seen some remarkable chin wing results. But my mandible looks very nice imo, with nice jaw angles, and a nice slope of the jawline (and my maxilla seems well-positioned). I'm not sure if it is justified to cut such a mandible into pieces just to move the chin forward. I have no idea if such a drastic cut along the mandible will have long term consequences such as bone loss. And the chin simply needs more forward projection. But I would consider undergoing a chin wing if the results should be better than the results of a sliding genioplasty (that often results in step off's alongside the chin) and if I'm reassured about the potential bone loss issue.

I've seen some beautiful chin wing results from Dr. Ramin Zarrinbal. But I saw a girl with a not great result after his chin wing that left me hesitant. I don't want to make her feel bad, but I would personally be very unhappy to have such a result. Obviously that is just one patient, but still. I don't want to risk ending up with a similar result.

I have not seen many sliding genioplasty results from Dr. Triaca. I did see some results of his chin wings and a few s/g results. Some were amazing, but then again: others were 'okay', I feel, since there was still apparent asymmetry. But then again: he is obviously deemed one of the best. Am I the only one not in love with some results? Perhaps I'm asking for too much. If anyone could point me in the direction of some pics of his sliding genio results, that'd be great.

I've seen results from Alfaro, but although some of his results looked amazing, his s/g results did not seem consistently nice, imho. Imho the chinbone did not always appear to be (re)shaped nicely.

I've seen some results from Raffaini that looked amazing. But then again, I read here the results he showcases on his website differ a lot from his work in general, and that his results in general are not great. So not sure at this stage.

I love the results of Arnett and Gunson, I think they are top notch and I would definitely consider them for surgery, but I'm not sure if they'd take on overseas patients.

Any other surgeons?

US surgeons? European surgeons? Asian surgeons? Whomever; wherever. What are the "best" surgeons that can deliver consistent great results from either the sliding genioplasty (or perhaps the chin wing) without step-off's, capable of (re)shaping the chinbone and with a great eye for aesthetics?

needadvancement

Re: Best surgeon for sliding genioplasty (chin wing)
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2015, 10:36:07 AM »
It seems like such a simple surgery in comparison to others, though. Wouldn't this be a piece of cake to well trained maxillofacial surgeons.

Serra

• Private
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2015, 06:56:15 PM »
Could it be it's more difficult to control symmetry than jaw surgery because there's less of a guide?

PloskoPlus

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2015, 09:12:04 PM »
Could it be it's more difficult to control symmetry than jaw surgery because there's less of a guide?
Considering that some don't even end up with a decent occlusion afterwards, everything is hard.

Serra

• Private
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2015, 08:55:57 AM »
Henri Thuau did mine. He's a very good surgeon. I had no tingling, or numbness after at all, mild swelling, and was pretty much fully recovered after about 9 days, and no one even knew it was done.

Someone here had a bad experience with him for SG.

needadvancement

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2015, 02:24:36 PM »
Off topic but for those who had it how does your chin feel outside during the rain?