Author Topic: Nearly Three years after surgery  (Read 1441 times)

Sharptoys

• Private
    • The Eric Reyes Law Firm
Nearly Three years after surgery
« on: August 12, 2015, 04:01:07 PM »
God, time has flown by. Just finished advising a relative re:braces for her child. Thought I'd stop by to give those of you still around a follow up.

In November of 2012 a couple days after I turned 19, I underwent bimax surgery to correct a mild overjet and openbite secondary to condylar resorption. Due in part to extensive orthodontics from ages 12-16, my occlusion was not as bad as many other candidates-- off just a few mm in each direction-- but that was, of course, at the very limits of conventional orthodontics. I remember my orthodontist joking before I had decided on surgery that all we had to do was pull out the rearmost molars, and my bite would close enough to call it a success.  ???

Generally speaking (for anyone new here), if you are operating at the limits of isolated orthodontics, there will be compromises. Again, generally speaking, any occlusion that necessitates heavy, continued application of orthodontics is one that likely has an underlying skeletal cause. Such was certainly the case with mine, with an extremely high (>40o) mandibular plane angle, and correspondingly retrusive chin, roughly an inch short of the vertical profile line. In addition--although I was less concerned with either at the time--I had a mildly retrusive upper jaw and relatively long chin.

In short, the surgical plan was moderate counterclockwise rotation of both jaws, mandibular advancement of 15-20mm at the chin, maxillary advancement as necessary, and aggressive genioplasty to shorten and advance the chin. Moderate to significant chance of relapse.

Better part of three years later, here I am. How'd it go? Well, medically speaking, it remains a success. My bite opened up quickly once the braces were removed, but stabilized quickly thereafter. I currently have about 1 mm of overbite (not overjet), and it has been that way for the last year. I do have a mild-moderate asymmetry, which precisely zero people have noticed, and have trouble noticing even when pointed out.* 

Aesthetically? Well, I'm still not particularly attractive. I still don't have sharp gonial angles or a commanding jawline. I don't get approached by women on the street or in class or at work. I don't do well at loud clubs or bars, where appearance reigns supreme.

But: I'm normal. I don't get snubbed or slighted or rebuffed. My input and opinions are not met with doubt or distrust. Expressions of confidence are rarely met with aloofness or amused incredulity.

I'm not beautiful. But I'm normal enough. And I can't think of anything I would trade for that.

TLDR: Five stars, subscribed. Would do again.

Lazlo

• Private
Re: Nearly Three years after surgery
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2015, 04:35:03 PM »
That's a damn awesome story. Congratulations and us veterans remember you well.

Question, hows your gum health? Black triangles? How's your lip sensitivity? All good on that front?

Sharptoys

• Private
    • The Eric Reyes Law Firm
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2015, 04:44:59 PM »
Gum health is great, no black triangles, lip sensitivity is great.

On the other hand, there remains mild numbness on the very front of the chin. I stopped noticing it two months after the surgery and only notice when touching it for whatever reason.

My dentist did comment on my shallow roots last visit, but that is of course due to the 4.5-5 years of braces, not the surgery itself.

ForeverDet

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2015, 08:43:54 PM »
Hi Sharptoys!

I used to past as reosity in those jawsurgery forums. I remember your case and your knowledgeable input. I had double jaw surgery too a couple years ago. 

It's interesting that had similar advancements relative to the vertical line. Mine was 21mm.

I'm glad it was a success for you.  :)