Author Topic: Is it common to still look like you have a recessed jaw after surgery?  (Read 5437 times)

chinnychinchin

I had double jaw surgery (Lefort1 + BSSO + small genio) and it appears as if my lower jaw is still slight recessed at this point. Is it common to appear that way due to residual swelling? I'm feeling a little regretful about not getting a bigger genio or perhaps I just need to wait it out before forming an opinion?

PloskoPlus

Re: Is it common to still look like you have a recessed jaw after surgery?
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2015, 08:47:34 PM »
Upper lip swells a lot usually.

dantheman

• Private
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2015, 07:08:06 PM »
I had double jaw surgery (Lefort1 + BSSO + small genio) and it appears as if my lower jaw is still slight recessed at this point. Is it common to appear that way due to residual swelling? I'm feeling a little regretful about not getting a bigger genio or perhaps I just need to wait it out before forming an opinion?

Would you mind sharing pics chinnychin? you can always PM me if you prefer. Keep one thing in mind. A revision genio etc is always possible. Most important is that the lefort1 and BSSO produced functional benefits and a stable result. The chin prominence can always be addressed later.

Any changes to your sleep?

Optimistic

• I am class I
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2015, 07:55:04 PM »
In the picture you posted, your head is at an angle.  It looks to me like the upper lip is swollen and the chin is in a line with the forehead.  I think you just need to give it more time before you make a decision on your results.  Stuff is still changing.

I wouldn't say chin alignment with the forehead is a good measure. Before my chin wing my chin was in line with my forehead and looked recessed as f**k because of general facial projection. In my own experience chin positioning comes down to a few things:

IN CASES OF SLIGHT BIMAX PROTRUSION
1. If upper and lower lips align, the chin must align with them, but not more.
2. If lower lip is slightly behind upper lip then the chin must align with the lower lip, but not more.

IF MOUTH IS MORE OR LESS FLAT
1. Chin should at least align with lips
2. In many cases these face types can look good with a chin that projects beyond the lips similar to marquardt masque.

Also, upper lip swelling is real. You won't know until a good 4-6 months how the true result is.
01/10/14 - Last night I spilt spaghetti sauce on my chin for the very first time in my life and cried.

Optimistic

• I am class I
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2015, 05:07:06 AM »
Yep I'm able to breathe much better now thank you :) So the functional aspect seems to be a success. Here is the pic:

Upper lip seems extremely swollen. It's too early to tell. Just wait.
01/10/14 - Last night I spilt spaghetti sauce on my chin for the very first time in my life and cried.

chinnychinchin

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2015, 07:54:08 PM »
Thanks for the support everyone, I think you guys are right and that it's too early to make judgements right now :)

dantheman

• Private
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2015, 07:30:24 PM »
Too early to tell. But looks very promising! And that's the best you can hope for at this stage. A solid improvement, I suspect.

terry947

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2015, 11:31:38 PM »
ya once your upper lip swelling goes down you'll be good. Doesn't look recessed at all.

ForeverDet

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2015, 02:04:16 PM »
Looking good for just 1 month post-op.No how much time passes, I still get envious of people having normal swelling that recedes in the expected time frame.

SGseeker

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2015, 05:23:30 PM »
Thanks for checking in! It's gone down quite a bit! Image below:

But the swelling is definitely still significant, especially the upper lip. Most of my face is still tender to the touch as well.

I KNEW I SAW YOU IN THE OFFICE! I told my bf I would have sworn I saw your photo on here when I saw you in the office 1-2 weeks ago. You are looking great in person :)

chinnychinchin

« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2015, 11:14:57 PM »
Thanks! Sorry that I didn't notice you :p I go back in 2 weeks and hopefully will be cleared to eat anything I want, woohoo

SGseeker

« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2015, 06:39:50 AM »
Its alright! You were on your phone :) Im back on Monday for 10 days so let me know if you are in town before that. We could get some tea or a smoothie haha.

Yonechan

« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2016, 08:56:41 PM »
Iknow this is spamming but you look fabulous! I would do anything to get neat result like you. Envy you :'(

Anyway good luck on ur recovery ;)