Author Topic: HOW LONG AFTER SURGERY CAN YOU GET BACk TO WORKING OUT?  (Read 2344 times)

Lazlo

• Private
HOW LONG AFTER SURGERY CAN YOU GET BACk TO WORKING OUT?
« on: August 17, 2015, 11:43:54 PM »
Hey guys, since I have surgery in a bit over a month I'm planning around my schedule after and I was wondering when did you feel okay enough to hit the gym again?

Doesn't have to be super intense crossfit workout but I mean 40 minutes of serious running or weights or something?

Only people who've had bi-max please as I believe this to be the most extnsive op. thanks!

ForeverDet

Re: HOW LONG AFTER SURGERY CAN YOU GET BACk TO WORKING OUT?
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2015, 04:17:32 AM »
Hard to recall the exact instructions from Dr. G but I think after 8 weeks you can light-moderate exercise then after 4-6 months, everything else. I think any exercise that makes your clench your jaw e.g. during weight lifting should be avoided though or just be vigilant not to clench. However at 1 year, you're all good since your bones will be completely fused by then so contact sports and everything else is fine.

So to answer your question, 2 months. BUT, I think if you're lucky enough to have minimal swelling and everything is stable... maybe some very light jogging would be fine at 4-6 weeks probably. Just my thoughts.

I'm pretty sure I started with chin ups at around 2 months and it was fine.

Tom2

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2015, 04:36:05 AM »
I'm 4.5 months post op and it just hit me that I feel ready to hit the weights again.

I lost 25 pounds after surgery and my main focus has been on things like surviving, eating, living without pain, mentally feeling better and the such.    It has taken a while to feel athletic again....but its back.

Like the poster above - you will be on restrictions for any sports or physical activity where you cold take an impact for a while.

baldguy83

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2015, 07:04:57 AM »
Dr. Z told me to avoid sports for at least 6 weeks afterwards. I guess with highly strenuous activities like fitness it might take even longer.

Tom2

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2015, 07:38:43 AM »
A week after surgery I was happy to walk around the yard, two weeks, I was taking the dog for a walk.  I would be tired after such but it was feeling good to get out again and move.

I think I was restricted for a couple/three months from sports because if you take a shot to your recovering jaws then you end up in a bad situation.    I'm not on any restrictions anymore that I know of.    My diet is back to normal (haven't tried steak but I eat hamburgers and all my usual meals I ate pre op).     I think this was a big part of me feeling ready to work out again.     Also, when bending over, my face only feels a little weird.....and all swelling is gone.

In the end, you'll get there and your body will let you know.     It is just tough when you're 8 days post op trying to wait to be 4 months post op......      Be ready with books, video games, magazines and jaw surgery forums to help you pass the time.    Text me after the surgery, I'll help you occupy some time.

Oh yea,  go to GNC and get some weight gainer.    Ice cream to add to the weight gainer,  Milk to pour into the weight gainer, and an electric mixing thingy to mix all previous stated ingredients together.     Ensure helps too but that stuff makes a slime in your mouth which gets all over the splint which then slides out and is disgusting!

Edited for stupid little mistakes.

« Last Edit: August 18, 2015, 03:06:49 PM by Tom2 »

Lazlo

• Private
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2015, 10:36:44 AM »
haha sounds tough!

Thanks for all the advice. I'm actually kind of fat and not in good shape right now so I'll welcome losing weight. That said, I need to get as fit as I can in the next month cause that's all I have before surgery. I wish I hadn't gone through such a fattening phase, but that is past year was rough on me.

Lazlo

• Private
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2015, 10:17:24 PM »
Thanks facenit, you're right.