Author Topic: Sliding Genioplasty -- Morphs -- update.  (Read 10184 times)

trojans101

Sliding Genioplasty -- Morphs -- update.
« on: August 21, 2015, 08:49:27 PM »
Hi all,

I am posting this as I am in the process of looking for a qualified surgeon to perform the procedure although I have a consultation with Dr. Gunson shortly. I have a very retrusive chin and am hoping to get it fixed. I am 25 years old if that helps. I have had braces in the past. My teeth are straight, get compliments on my smile. My bite is perfect imo. Don't think I have sleep apnea, i do have a deviated septum but don't think its worth fixing. I just want a normal chin. It can even be a little recessed afterwards.

Anyway, I provided a few links to a couple pictures of myself. Do you guys think I need anything more than a sliding genioplasty? In my opinion, I think I just need to get my chin done. I look fine from the front.

Thoughts? Good choice? I am in no way going to get any type of implants.

I shave my head, and really think this would help bring everything together. Been wanting this done since I was 18.

As for bodyfat, since my lack of chin, my face looks heavier. I'm in decent shape right now.

Appreciate any and all insight!

Here are the links, I hope these work!

http://imgur.com/dRUioIc - Jaw Surgery

http://imgur.com/vyObw4A - SG

http://imgur.com/A1u30FI - my own morph

http://imgur.com/Q8nT3Pj - profile before

http://imgur.com/Unanr7O - front picture

SEE PAGE 2 FOR UPDATES.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2015, 11:56:57 AM by trojans101 »

terry947

Re: Sliding Genioplasty -- Pic -- recommendation? Consultation booked.
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2015, 10:20:50 PM »
A&G is a good choice. You most likely need to get bimax. But maybe you can get away witch only a sliding genoplasty sicne you said you don't mind having a slightly retruded chin. 

trojans101

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2015, 10:52:49 PM »
Thanks for the couple replies, appreciate it. As well as the morphs.

My bite is fine. I think a genio will help my profile and reduce the appearance of my hump on my nose. No quite sure I want to do a rhinoplasty, I'm pretty fine with my nose as it is, I think it has a manly/italian look to it just think that if my chin was corrected I'd have the ideal look Ive always wanted.
Thanks!

Open to more replies as well. Look forward to them.

trojans101

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2015, 12:39:34 PM »
What? LOL

Droopy nose tip dont affect the chin. look at John Travolta or Michael Douglas they dont have projected nose tip but very strong jaws.

I would do in your case instead of a dirty fix with genio and rhino a Bimax with sliding genio or a ching wing. Your maxilla besides your ramus and chin seems to be not so projected. And your nose tip will automatically lift a bit. Perhaps a good executed ching wing witouth jawsurgery would look good on you.... for shure a genio alone and nose job wouldnt give satisfactory results I guess.

Thanks, did you mean to say 'would' or 'wouldn't? How do I check my airway btw? Never really had any issues, just self consious about my chin.

trojans101

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2015, 12:41:14 PM »
Bimax + genio, decision made by the way you hold your lips in the original photo.  Genio alone would be a quick and dirty fix but may not give you the best results.
You may have airway issues unless you are purposely sticking your head out.  They call it 'forward head posture,' and it is a subconscious thing that is done to open the airway.
You have classic allergy eyes.
Good luck with your consult!

I am actually purposely sticking my head out in this picture, I am looking up a little bit. Here is one of me looking straight on + a morph: http://i.imgur.com/cMd2Lur.jpg

Ive always felt just a genio would be the way to go, but I think I really need to see x-rays to get a final answer.

Thanks again.

jesterofmalice

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2015, 01:14:57 PM »
To my eye, you're quite lucky as I think you can get away with just a genio. Your jaws just don't look particularly recessed to me.
I guess you'd know for sure after having some cephs done and see what they say
You look OK already to me, and have a decent jaw, but I know what it's like to want to be better looking! :)

trojans101

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2015, 08:27:07 PM »
Eyes that are swollen and have bags under them as a result of irritation from allergies.  Pretty common and easily treatable with consistent use of daily OTC allergy eyedrops and a daily antihistamine.

Do you have a recommendation of eyedrops? I take zyrtec when I can, but you are damn right. I have had allergies for a while now, not too badly, but they are there.

trojans101

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2015, 09:36:59 PM »
^^Good Stuff! I;m on it!

terry947

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2015, 07:53:24 AM »
Any side effects? I have swollen/puffy eyes as well. Though I think mines more from the starting of sleep apnea.

Gregor Samsa

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2015, 07:55:43 AM »
I've found that certain eating habits would trigger allergies for me. Try cutting out dairy products, grains, refined sugars and industrial fats for a few weeks and see what happens. Side effects of that may include being healthier overall so don't try it for too long.  ;D

trojans101

« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2015, 08:46:57 PM »
I've found that certain eating habits would trigger allergies for me. Try cutting out dairy products, grains, refined sugars and industrial fats for a few weeks and see what happens. Side effects of that may include being healthier overall so don't try it for too long.  ;D

Thanks. Been meaning to clean up the diet. Really tough to do though!

molestrip

• Private
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2015, 12:18:55 AM »
Interesting. I've heard of the allergic shiner but that's more discoloration, right? I have like a ledge under the eyes. Maybe from being tired but seems also like lack of bony support from underdeveloped infraorbital rims. idk I visited a local oculoplastic surgeon and he said my rims were fine my deficient cheekbones were the problem. I guess they tent the skin. My opthalmologist said my bags were normal at my age (35) but the oculoplastic surgeon said it's not common until 45-50. Makeup?

trojans101

« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2015, 09:14:58 PM »
Hi guys,

Thanks for all the replies. Appreciate it.

I was wondering if someone could point me to more reading on sliding genioplasties? Doesn't seem to be too much information on here.

I have ventured to makemeheal.com... seems like that forum are a ton of people with negative responses which scares me.

Open to other forums, or blogs, etc.

Thanks

trojans101

« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2015, 10:56:43 PM »
http://archfaci.jamanetwork.com/article.aspx?articleid=479824

Thanks! This is the type of stuff i was looking for. Open to more links like this one that are out there.

This article makes me want to go ahead and schedule surgery tomorrow.

molestrip

• Private
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2015, 10:24:13 PM »
I'm looking at your pictures in detail now. The other posters are incorrect I believe. You have a very weak chin. The reason they are confused is that in your front picture the convex profile is being masked by your upturned face. People naturally try and level the plane of the chin and upper lip when looking forward, both to open the airway and for psychological reasons. You need to level the face by rotating it downwards so the line between the top of the ear canal and the lower orbit of the left eye is parallel to the ground, which you've done in your first picture. That's called the Frankfort Horizontal Plane. There you can see that you need quite a lot of advancement for your mandible to catch up to your maxilla. I'd venture that you suffer from the same problems as the rest of us long faced people, which may include the following: steep occlusal plane, narrow arches, underdeveloped cheekbones w/negative vector, posterior crossbite, gummy smile, narrow nasal aperture, steep mandibular plane, hypertrophied turbinates from nasal congestion, and nose deformities including humps and narrow aperture and poor valve support, joint problems. Given the health issues involved, I'd say imaging and evluation by several oral surgeons is warranted to determine how bad your case really is. Unfortunately, there haven't been enough studies done to determine how much is too much, to determine when double jaw surgery should be done over aesthetic procedures like sliding genioplasty to avoid joint damage and sleep apnea later on in life but at some extremes you'll find near consensus either direction.