Author Topic: Mild or severe?  (Read 5605 times)

stupidjaws

• CFO
  • The panic the vomit the yuppies networking
Mild or severe?
« on: March 11, 2013, 02:00:25 PM »
What, in your opinion, are the patients who end up with best results? (not best improvement, best result in absolute terms)
Those who had a mild problem or a severe one?

Cheers

Hellojoe

Re: Mild or severe?
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2013, 02:26:33 PM »
It all depends. Someone with average or below average aesthetics - not including the jaw - will obviously never become a supermodel by just fixing the jaw, no matter how severe of a case and how big of an improvement the surgery was for them. Someone with incredible features, excluding the jaw, will always end up looking better if he fixes his jaw, naturally.

It's really a question of what makes a face aesthetically pleasing, and while a super sweet jaw can go a long way, that alone doesn't make ANYONE handsome. General symmetry, the distance between ALL your different features and the structure of these is what matters. It's a combination. So, it really is impossible to say whether mild or severe cases end up looking best. It's 100% individual.

This is my conclusion, anyway.

pekay

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2013, 02:52:20 PM »
Severe especially if they are females

Chopsticks > Spoons

CK

• Private
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2013, 03:12:36 PM »
features matter less than proportions. if the deformity is exclusive to the jaw then the result should be strong whether it's severe or mild. someone can have excellent individual features but if they dont match up jaw surgery isn't going to do much.

this is why it is so important to get tough on abnormal growth as soon as possible.

pekay

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2013, 03:18:56 PM »
features matter less than proportions. if the deformity is exclusive to the jaw then the result should be strong whether it's severe or mild. someone can have excellent individual features but if they dont match up jaw surgery isn't going to do much.

this is why it is so important to get tough on abnormal growth as soon as possible.

YES! 15-16 for females, 17-18 for males
Chopsticks > Spoons

CK

• Private
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2013, 04:05:08 PM »
YES! 15-16 for females, 17-18 for males

the longer one waits the more likely the growth will harm other areas of the face. ideally intervention should be performed before the critical growth phases. there is an inherit risk when growth is meddled with but the return is worth it imo.

pekay

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2013, 04:11:47 PM »
the longer one waits the more likely the growth will harm other areas of the face. ideally intervention should be performed before the critical growth phases. there is an inherit risk when growth is meddled with but the return is worth it imo.

How young are we talking about here? from what I've gathered the ideal age is 15-16 for females and 17-18 for males but then again I haven't consulted with top tier surgeons
Chopsticks > Spoons

CK

• Private
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2013, 04:28:29 PM »
How young are we talking about here? from what I've gathered the ideal age is 15-16 for females and 17-18 for males but then again I haven't consulted with top tier surgeons

it's a tough question because when it comes to abnormal growth there are so many possible causes and points of origin.  with the upper jaw the situation is much more urgent because it influences a majority of the bones in the upper face. intervention can be done on people as young as six, but those conditions tend to be obvious at birth. commonly the problem remains undiagnosed until much later.

by 17-18 the upper and midface have already filled out so jaw surgery isnt going to do much there.

Lazlo

• Private
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2013, 04:48:46 PM »
it's a tough question because when it comes to abnormal growth there are so many possible causes and points of origin.  with the upper jaw the situation is much more urgent because it influences a majority of the bones in the upper face. intervention can be done on people as young as six, but those conditions tend to be obvious at birth. commonly the problem remains undiagnosed until much later.

by 17-18 the upper and midface have already filled out so jaw surgery isnt going to do much there.

I think all of this is only partially true that having an intervention really early is going to do all that much --I mean not everyone is destined to normally have a strong midface or high cheekbones or whatever --in fact very few people do even amongst those who have NO jaw issues ever. Your genes and stuff have a lot more to do with all that stuff and you can't judge just based on looking at your parents --you might be a mutation of some sort.  The good thing is, is that a lot of it all is fixable through jaw and craniofacial surgery at any age....

CK

• Private
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2013, 05:33:26 PM »
I think all of this is only partially true that having an intervention really early is going to do all that much --I mean not everyone is destined to normally have a strong midface or high cheekbones or whatever --in fact very few people do even amongst those who have NO jaw issues ever. Your genes and stuff have a lot more to do with all that stuff and you can't judge just based on looking at your parents --you might be a mutation of some sort.  The good thing is, is that a lot of it all is fixable through jaw and craniofacial surgery at any age....

facial development is a complicated process.

the point is if someone is experiencing abnormal growth, the optimal time to treat it would be as soon as possible. for the layman looking at someone isn't going to be totally helpful. if you know the triggers for normal growth then it is fairly easy to determine if something went wrong.

jaw surgery and craniofacial surgery cannot reset growth by adulthood. you can tinker with certain features but that's it.

Heavyweight

« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2013, 05:37:56 PM »
It's certainly better to have a mild problem, for a number of reasons. First, if your problem is mild, it's likely that the rest of your face is more balanced, since your overall facial development was probably more normal. So your starting point is already higher. Second, smaller jaw movements are much less likely to look unnatural than larger ones. Third, a surgeon can much more accurately predict the aesthetic effects (particularly regarding soft tissue) of a small jaw movement vs. a large one. This would allow him to come up with more ideal movements and better simulations. And of course, there are non-aesthetic reasons that someone with a mild case should do better (lower risk of numbness, for one).

In short, the final outcome should be better for people with mild problems, even if the total improvement is smaller.

stupidjaws

• CFO
  • The panic the vomit the yuppies networking
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2013, 05:51:59 PM »
It's certainly better to have a mild problem, for a number of reasons. First, if your problem is mild, it's likely that the rest of your face is more balanced, since your overall facial development was probably more normal. So your starting point is already higher. Second, smaller jaw movements are much less likely to look unnatural than larger ones. Third, a surgeon can much more accurately predict the aesthetic effects (particularly regarding soft tissue) of a small jaw movement vs. a large one. This would allow him to come up with more ideal movements and better simulations. And of course, there are non-aesthetic reasons that someone with a mild case should do better (lower risk of numbness, for one).

In short, the final outcome should be better for people with mild problems, even if the total improvement is smaller.

I totally agree with this...How come i'm the only one? It seems logic to me, every single point. I'm afraid i might want to believe this and so it makes sense only to me....
But, trying to be objective, it still sounds super legit

treevernal

• Private
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2013, 07:05:34 PM »
It really would depend on the degree of spacing discrepancies and the degree of "bad" skin/hair versus the positives of the other which is very very difficult if not impossible to judge quantitatively.

Cmonster

• Private
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2013, 09:29:02 PM »

Completely agree about less is more especially with jaw movements!
But also people who have severe cases have more to gain aesthetically & functionally than people with milder conditions IMO.
We have to continually be jumping off cliffs and developing our wings on the way down.