Author Topic: Do you use an electric toothbrush?  (Read 2996 times)

Gregor Samsa

Do you use an electric toothbrush?
« on: August 22, 2015, 04:25:11 PM »
My orthodontist and dentist have always nagged me about getting an electric toothbrush but I never took their advice seriously because I didn't expect it to make much of a difference. I was very wrong. I recently got one and the difference in how clean my teeth feel is huge.

PloskoPlus

Re: Do you use an electric toothbrush?
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2015, 04:41:38 PM »
Been using one since getting braces (ortho forced it on me), and since getting them off.  Before I used to brush hard with a hard brush. I reckon my teeth were cleaner then.

Gregor Samsa

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2015, 05:26:42 PM »
I've always brushed too hard (that's why my dentist wanted me to get one in the first place) but my teeth still didn't feel clean. I don't know what kind of electric toothbrush you use but the Oral-B Pro 4000 that I use has been amazing so far. My teeth both feel and look cleaner now and the gums are less stressed since I don't brush as hard as I used to (my electric toothbrush will automatically slow down if you press too hard).

PloskoPlus

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2015, 05:42:37 PM »
I've always brushed too hard (that's why my dentist wanted me to get one in the first place) but my teeth still didn't feel clean. I don't know what kind of electric toothbrush you use but the Oral-B Pro 4000 that I use has been amazing so far. My teeth both feel and look cleaner now and the gums are less stressed since I don't brush as hard as I used to (my electric toothbrush will automatically slow down if you press too hard).
Mine is the 5000 model.  I recently whitened my teeth twice - take home kit 3 months ago and in office a month ago. They invariably turn yellow.  I never had truly white teeth, but they seemed to be a bit better before braces.  Maybe it's the electric brush.

Gregor Samsa

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2015, 05:47:54 PM »
Mine is the 5000 model.  I recently whitened my teeth twice - take home kit 3 months ago and in office a month ago. They invariably turn yellow.  I never had truly white teeth, but they seemed to be a bit better before braces.  Maybe it's the electric brush.

I have the same problem. The take home kit is supposed to be more effective though since the one they use in the office just dries out the teeth which makes them look whiter than they really are. That effect disappears very quickly as you have noticed. I've read that there are different whitening formulas you can use that will work better on certain underlying causes.

Gregor Samsa

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2015, 11:02:27 AM »
I was told you need to do a maintenance whitening for a few days every year but I feel like you have to do it every month unless you only eat through a straw. I'm worried about the long term effects of whitening your teeth every year.

chinnychinchin

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2015, 04:17:13 PM »
After using an electric toothbrush, I've had no cavities since. Also paired with a waterpik my teeth are in excellent shape even with braces.

PloskoPlus

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2015, 04:00:16 AM »
I have the same problem. The take home kit is supposed to be more effective though since the one they use in the office just dries out the teeth which makes them look whiter than they really are. That effect disappears very quickly as you have noticed. I've read that there are different whitening formulas you can use that will work better on certain underlying causes.
I started using an electric brush when I first got braces.  I only had lower braces at first.  My teeth turned green in a few months - even the upper teeth, which had no braces!  The ortho suggested I stop drinking tea after I got them cleaned.  It helped, and I haven't drunk tea since.  I had always drunk tea before braces and my teeth were never this bad.  The only thing that changed was the brush and that I started using recaldent mousse.  But the mousse is supposed to help keep the teeth whiter if anything.

PloskoPlus

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2015, 02:28:57 AM »
But didn't you say in an earlier post that you  had bonding on the teeth that was removed for some reason?  If so, the enamel is probably not as smooth allowing stain an easier place to attach.
Only on the central incisors (the dentist "corrected" their misaligned height instead of telling me to get braces, LOL).  But the staining is everywhere.  I now do wonder if it's due to enamel loss due to braces.

4 weeks since my in-office whitening and they look like hardly anything has been done.  I do have a take home kit.  I plan to use it one night a month and maybe see a dental hygienist more often (once every 2-3 months maybe).  But TBH I sort of stopped caring.  I started drinking wine again.  I may even start drinking tea again after a 2 year break.  Looking back on it, I wonder how the hell I tolerated braces for almost 20 months (albeit only 13 months of upper braces).

Tom2

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2015, 07:24:00 PM »
Love my electric tooth brush.     

Not loving it post op...havebeen avoiding it - feels weird and I didnt want to vibrate my healing into a bad place....but in time - I;ll be back to it.