Author Topic: Regenerative Medicine/Medical Breakthroughs  (Read 80175 times)

jusken

• Private
Re: Regenerative Medicine/Medical Breakthroughs
« Reply #60 on: April 27, 2019, 09:17:42 PM »
Regeneration and aging research are getting more attention in recent years.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2019/04/190425143647.htm

I've been following Michael Levin's work recently like with the above example recently released.  It gives me hope, but also makes me realize more and more just how ridiculously primitive cosmetic procedures are nowadays (I've totally abandoned this idea personally).  If we want to actually look good in the future, this will be how we do it.  Just, you know, be ready to wait 15-50 years... still, things are certainly speeding up.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2019, 12:50:58 PM by GJ »

PloskoPlus

Lazlo

• Private

Lestat

Lazlo

• Private
« Reply #65 on: June 03, 2019, 09:57:10 PM »
https://sifted.eu/articles/skeleton-healthtech-startups-3d-printing-bones-particle3d-mimetis-xilloc/

it's a start, but not enough to actually augment facial bones yet. That's probably another 10-20 years away.

Lestat

« Reply #66 on: July 28, 2019, 02:14:25 AM »
it's a start, but not enough to actually augment facial bones yet. That's probably another 10-20 years away.

-"With positive results, the company expects to start a Phase III US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) trial at the beginning of 2020, with an outcome expected within two-and-a-half years."

https://m.jpost.com/Israel-News/Need-a-bone-Israeli-company-is-growing-them-in-a-lab-596818

GJ

• Administrator
« Reply #67 on: August 30, 2019, 11:26:59 PM »
It sounds like it's a ways away (like all these things).

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2019/aug/30/scientists-grow-tooth-enamel
Millimeters are miles on the face.

DRIVVEN

• Private
« Reply #68 on: August 31, 2019, 06:10:03 PM »
https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1111/trf.14836

Last week I had stem cells for the scar tissue and fibrotic tissue from the surgery.  I had what is called Wharton/s jelly and it cost a small fortune. This is an article regarding how stem cells work to help with fibrotic scar tissue. Out of surgery my bite hit like a machine gun.  I had good overlap and overbite before the surgery, i could not get used to the improper bite.  The compression  and banging killed my healing ability.  Also the follow up surgeries to address an infection that ran though my jaw from a surgical screw killing a tooth caused scarring.  My IAN nerve and mental nerve is twisted and compressed and fibrotic. Its like my mouth is frozen in cement.

This is an expensive experiment. The problem in injecting scar tissue that is fibrotic is that stem cells may not survive in fibrotic tissue. So i had half the dose via IV and the other half spun with my blood and injected into the actual oral scar tissue. I am taking weekly pictures. At a week, i notice some softening of the tissue, the nerve is coming on line a bit (and it hurts lol).  If this works at all to give me the ability to move my mouth, it will be nothing short of a small miracle. BTW, gunson said to a third party, not to me, that he thinks i have a connective tissue disorder that causes scarring. I don’t have any such condition and have had a couple of previous surgeries and sports injuries and have never had abnormal scarring.

For anyone who is interested, take a look at these photos.  They are not clinical, pardon the dirty face and partial lipstick, but its pretty amazing 9 days out.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2019, 06:35:13 PM by DRIVVEN »

GJ

• Administrator
« Reply #69 on: October 18, 2019, 03:58:21 PM »
Last week I had stem cells for the scar tissue and fibrotic tissue from the surgery.

Did this work?

Lazlo

• Private
« Reply #70 on: December 08, 2019, 11:05:01 PM »
Periodically I look up stuff about tooth regeneration.

They have been writing about the same tech since f**king 2006 and even more about certain advancements since 2013! We're almost at 2020. How could f**king science progress so damn slow?

Like wasn't there supposed to be a stem cell revolution and a crispr revolution and lasers and all sorts of s**t? Why has it taken so damn long? I mean like really what's the f**king hold-up?

GJ

• Administrator
« Reply #71 on: December 10, 2019, 09:05:50 AM »
Periodically I look up stuff about tooth regeneration.

They have been writing about the same tech since f**king 2006 and even more about certain advancements since 2013! We're almost at 2020. How could f**king science progress so damn slow?

Like wasn't there supposed to be a stem cell revolution and a crispr revolution and lasers and all sorts of s**t? Why has it taken so damn long? I mean like really what's the f**king hold-up?

Fake Christians took over. Bush killed stem cell research. Trump hates science. Etc.

Lazlo

• Private
« Reply #72 on: December 10, 2019, 01:00:12 PM »
Fake Christians took over. Bush killed stem cell research. Trump hates science. Etc.

all true.

but with the explosion of global economies and places like asia that have little regulation, things should be picking up there.

i mean if we look at other technology sectors f**king cars, computers, everything gets predictably better and better in game changing and paradigm changing ways every several months.

why hasn't this been happening with medical technology? i mean thinking of the body as a technological system?

i think there are some fundamental hurdles in biological science, but there are game changing innovations like crispr which is just very recent.

i think the biological problems are just too complex for the human mind to hack. we'll need powerful AI's which are on the horizong and once those are let loose to figure out these problems we're going to f**king own this s**t.

the last ten years were pathetic, but i'm certain the next ten years will involve some game changing discoveries that will lead directly to clinical practice.

we need to be able cure baldness, we need to cure grey hair, we need to be able to synhesize things like skin and teeth and bone. all of this will be possible by 2040-2050, i'm certain of it.

Post bimax

• Private
« Reply #73 on: December 10, 2019, 01:39:40 PM »
all true.

but with the explosion of global economies and places like asia that have little regulation, things should be picking up there.

i mean if we look at other technology sectors f**king cars, computers, everything gets predictably better and better in game changing and paradigm changing ways every several months.

why hasn't this been happening with medical technology? i mean thinking of the body as a technological system?

i think there are some fundamental hurdles in biological science, but there are game changing innovations like crispr which is just very recent.

i think the biological problems are just too complex for the human mind to hack. we'll need powerful AI's which are on the horizong and once those are let loose to figure out these problems we're going to f**king own this s**t.

the last ten years were pathetic, but i'm certain the next ten years will involve some game changing discoveries that will lead directly to clinical practice.

we need to be able cure baldness, we need to cure grey hair, we need to be able to synhesize things like skin and teeth and bone. all of this will be possible by 2040-2050, i'm certain of it.

Most medical innovation is publicly funded, so what gets developed is almost always a political choice

Lazlo

• Private
« Reply #74 on: December 10, 2019, 02:02:41 PM »
Most medical innovation is publicly funded, so what gets developed is almost always a political choice

yeah but china?