Author Topic: Regenerative Medicine/Medical Breakthroughs  (Read 80148 times)

GJ

• Administrator
Re: Regenerative Medicine/Medical Breakthroughs
« Reply #90 on: February 20, 2023, 03:21:59 PM »
Do you mind sharing some organizations that are working on these (named) innovations / ideas? I'd love to be on the lookout for news and any academic works for these.

Crispr therapeutics, Editas, Intuitive Surgical, Medtronic...come to mind in terms of gene editing and robotic surgery. I'm sure there are more. The graphene companies are mostly small and international, but I bet material companies like 3M et al are on that. The material science technology is here right now; it's just expensive due to the process of isolating the carbon in graphene.
Millimeters are miles on the face.

ForeverAloneDude

« Reply #91 on: February 20, 2023, 07:21:49 PM »
Crispr therapeutics, Editas, Intuitive Surgical, Medtronic...come to mind in terms of gene editing and robotic surgery. I'm sure there are more. The graphene companies are mostly small and international, but I bet material companies like 3M et al are on that. The material science technology is here right now; it's just expensive due to the process of isolating the carbon in graphene.

Thanks! I'll keep an eye on all of them. :)

ForeverAloneDude

« Reply #92 on: March 08, 2023, 09:41:31 AM »

Question: I am wondering how would CRISPR improve a person's facial structure if they are already born and heck, even well past puberty? i.e. their facial structure is completely developed and done developing?

Or would that not be the use case for it? But rather to work towards making the next generation not look ugly...

ForeverAloneDude

« Reply #93 on: March 08, 2023, 10:24:03 AM »
Question: I am wondering how would CRISPR improve a person's facial structure if they are already born and heck, even well past puberty? i.e. their facial structure is completely developed and done developing?

Or would that not be the use case for it? But rather to work towards making the next generation not look ugly...

Or are you talking about something like this?:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7427626/

GJ

• Administrator
« Reply #94 on: March 08, 2023, 11:10:38 AM »
Question: I am wondering how would CRISPR improve a person's facial structure if they are already born and heck, even well past puberty?

Ideally by manipulating the gene for jaw growth. It would probably have to be done at a young age, yeah, before the bones fuse, though maybe not necessarily as we learn more about how the genes work. My speculation is that this type of gene editing at a young age will eventually replace braces and surgery. It seems like a natural progression away from the current barbaric methods.

ForeverAloneDude

« Reply #95 on: March 08, 2023, 03:12:26 PM »
Ideally by manipulating the gene for jaw growth. It would probably have to be done at a young age, yeah, before the bones fuse, though maybe not necessarily as we learn more about how the genes work. My speculation is that this type of gene editing at a young age will eventually replace braces and surgery. It seems like a natural progression away from the current barbaric methods.

Ah, I guess I'm born in the wrong era. Sad. :(

GJ

• Administrator
« Reply #96 on: March 23, 2024, 07:05:17 AM »
It will be interesting to see what the merger of quantum computing and AI over the coming five years produces, in general, but specifically in terms of jaw surgery and dentistry. We're finally on the cusp of technologies that work together in a positive feedback loop that can lead to quicker breakthroughs.