Author Topic: Purely cosmetic surgery  (Read 11635 times)

tdawg

• Private
Purely cosmetic surgery
« on: May 29, 2012, 01:14:46 AM »
Im considering cosmetic surgery(genioplasty, rhinoplasty). I found some morphing software, and even with conservative alterations, I really like the result.

The problem is that I feel guilty. What I noticed that even though my face appeared more balance, it was still clearly me. How vain do I have to be to obsess over literally millimeters? As one surgeon put it when I went for a consult for jaww surgery, I dont have a disfiguring malocclusion or any functional problems.

Yet at the same time, the morph looked like what I always pictured what I looked like in my head. I think that is what this is really about. Self identity. My other fear is that Ill have a successful surgery and then realize that there is something else about myself that I dislike.

Heavyweight

Re: Purely cosmetic surgery
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2012, 08:53:25 PM »
Your looks have a huge effect on the quality of your life, so you should do it if you want to be happier and enjoy your life more.

trigeminalneuralgia

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2012, 08:22:50 PM »
Quote from: tdawg
My other fear is that Ill have a successful surgery and then realize that there is something else about myself that I dislike.
Reasonable fear!

tdawg

• Private
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2012, 09:12:51 PM »
Your looks have a huge effect on the quality of your life, so you should do it if you want to be happier and enjoy your life more.

sad but true. This is probably why I will ultimately go through with it. If it helps my career it would be worth it for that alone.

I want to do it without anyone finding out though. I think Im going to grow my hair and beard out, and then right after Im all healed up shave and get a hair cut. Maybe if I start working out and put on some muscle that will throw people off too.

stevek216

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2012, 06:30:21 AM »
My other fear is that Ill have a successful surgery and then realize that there is something else about myself that I dislike.

This is very legitimate.  A lot of people think that all of their problems come from their one flaw and if they could rid themselves of it their life would be perfect.  But I've seen, anecdotal evidence of course, people who get a nose job or jaw surgery or breast augmentation and they just find the next "problem" with themselves to focus their insecurity on.  You sound pretty aware of this possibility and I think that jaw surgery for you would be a big quality of life improvement, but I'd say do some serious thinking about why you're upset with your looks and try hard to honestly answer whether the surgery will fix it.

And if you're paying for the surgery yourself, there's no reason to feel guilty.  You don't like something about yourself and you realize that fixing it will improve your life, so you're taking steps to fix it.  There's no shame in that.  I'm guessing people who know you will make comments no matter what, but after a few months everyone will adjust to the new you and you'll get to live the rest of your life without this perceived inadequacy.

Heavyweight

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2012, 04:52:33 PM »
sad but true. This is probably why I will ultimately go through with it. If it helps my career it would be worth it for that alone.

I want to do it without anyone finding out though. I think Im going to grow my hair and beard out, and then right after Im all healed up shave and get a hair cut. Maybe if I start working out and put on some muscle that will throw people off too.

In my view, it's a myth that people look down on those who get plastic surgery. Yes, perhaps there is a tiny stigma against plastic surgery (more or less, depending on the procedure), but the benefit of being more attractive should far exceed the negative effects of this stigma. People are far more friendly toward attractive people, regardless of how they became attractive. So you shouldn't worry about people finding out -- the worst that will happen is that they will be a little jealous because they lack the courage to get surgery themselves.

trigeminalneuralgia

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2012, 07:16:34 PM »
There's so much variation...  I agree with heavyweight the soft tissue injections..implants etc seem to look the worst.  The best ones we won't notice obviously

Also there's a lot of awful face lifts..brow lift type stuff.  Whatever that falls under

Kristen

• Private
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2012, 05:03:13 AM »
What did that last guy have down exactly?

Eroica

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2012, 05:15:02 AM »
Orbital rim, jaw, chin and cheek implants.

trigeminalneuralgia

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2012, 06:27:52 AM »
Jesus.

I like a little dorsal hump.  That guy they took too much off

Eroica

« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2012, 09:58:30 AM »
I agree... still an improvement though.

tdawg

• Private
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2012, 01:05:40 PM »
The only one who became significantly more attractive is the guy who we see in profile view, imo.

I cant tell with the last guy because he is smiling in one pic and not in the other. I HATE before and afters when they do that.

Eroica

« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2012, 01:39:11 PM »
You don't think this is a big improvement? Looks like he went from distinctly below average to very handsome to my eyes. The improvements in facial contour are huge.

trigeminalneuralgia

« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2012, 01:43:24 PM »
I wonder how implants hold up long term

Eroica

« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2012, 01:45:44 PM »
I wonder how implants hold up long term

Pretty well, generally. I've spoken to people who've had them for 15-20 years and still going strong. Porex is more reliable long-term than silicone because the bone actually grows into it, however this does make it difficult to remove if you are unhappy with the results.