Author Topic: How noticeable are the changes after double jaw surgery?  (Read 1304 times)

trex0288

How noticeable are the changes after double jaw surgery?
« on: October 12, 2015, 07:46:46 AM »
I recently had a consult with a max/fac surgeon about the type of jaw surgery I needed to fix my gummy smile and lower jaw prognathism. He said he would move my upper jaw straight up 5mm because if he was going to rotate it my lower jaw would stick out 8mm more than it does now which is no good. He also said he would move my upper jaw forward 2mm and setback my lower jaw along with a genioplasty. He didn't have a projected result and he said the changes would be subtle but I really would like a shorter face. His assistant made it sound like my case wasn't all that bad and seemed to try and talk me out of it. So my question is how noticeable will the changes be?

Bobbit

Re: How noticeable are the changes after double jaw surgery?
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2015, 04:47:24 PM »
I recently had a consult with a max/fac surgeon about the type of jaw surgery I needed to fix my gummy smile and lower jaw prognathism. He said he would move my upper jaw straight up 5mm because if he was going to rotate it my lower jaw would stick out 8mm more than it does now which is no good. He also said he would move my upper jaw forward 2mm and setback my lower jaw along with a genioplasty. He didn't have a projected result and he said the changes would be subtle but I really would like a shorter face. His assistant made it sound like my case wasn't all that bad and seemed to try and talk me out of it. So my question is how noticeable will the changes be?

Subtle deficiencies can really only properly result in improvement of the same general magnitude  ( i.e.  'subtle' )

However,  for people with obvious unpleasant lower facial features - - moving one or both jaws can transform them.   It can change their lives.