Author Topic: Re: Surgery with Gunson  (Read 15803 times)

hara.v

Re: Surgery with Gunson
« on: May 27, 2012, 06:59:50 AM »
Hello!

I have left condylar, ramus and mandibular body hypoplasia. My x-rays look quite similar as well... Have you had 3D models done? Its really weird to be able to hold your jaw and see whats going in there, I was shocked when I saw the difference between the right and left ramus!

Here is a picture of what it looks like from the back

Marisama

• Private
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2012, 08:14:06 AM »
I had my 4 month ortho appointment this morning.  Apparently my ortho thinks I'm ahead of schedule and that nothing has really changed since my last visit.  I just need a few teeth vertically adjusted that should only take a month.  He seemed to think that I'd be ready for surgery at my 6 to 7 month mark, which would put me around mid October for surgery.  I can't believe this is actually going to happen soon.  I'm extremely nervous to go under the knife but I'm anxious to have this all behind me.  Just thought I'd share as I know there are a number of other people here looking to have surgery with A/G.  

Marisama

• Private
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2012, 03:43:27 PM »
He takes molds each time I go in but Dr. G has only requested 6 month molds.  Based on his experience, he was just estimating.  Dr. G. may come back and say I've got more time, who knows.  Guess I'll find out in Sept.

CK

• Private
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2012, 01:28:39 AM »
this thread needs an update.

Marisama

• Private
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2012, 06:21:33 AM »
Well, I have a scheduled date in November.

CK

• Private
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2012, 08:07:56 AM »
Well, I have a scheduled date in November.

for surgery?

Marisama

• Private
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2012, 08:12:02 AM »
For a cavity.... Yes, for surgery.

CK

• Private
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2012, 08:27:42 AM »
For a cavity.... Yes, for surgery.

well sweet.

Marisama

• Private
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2012, 05:57:15 PM »
Updated my blog for anyone who is interested.

CK

• Private
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2012, 06:02:31 PM »
Updated my blog for anyone who is interested.

do you think the upper jaw surgery will fix the gaps on your upper teeth or will that be completed during post-surgery braces? i dont have any gaps as far as i know, but my overbite increased ~3mm in the last 10 weeks which will be corrected by my braces.

gaps was one fear i had because i saw a video of someone who had good results but still gaps between his teeth.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2012, 06:13:27 PM by CK »

Marisama

• Private
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2012, 06:10:04 PM »
If you look closely, there are coil springs in my braces creating these gaps.  They are needed to create more room for my upper jaw to fit over my lower jaw after the 3 piece upper jaw surgery that will widen the palate.  My laterals are naturally narrow so I plan to bond them or get crowns.  I definitely don't plan on using post-surgical braces to close the gaps. 

CK

• Private
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2012, 06:15:18 PM »
If you look closely, there are coil springs in my braces creating these gaps.  They are needed to create more room for my upper jaw to fit over my lower jaw after the 3 piece upper jaw surgery that will widen the palate.  My laterals are naturally narrow so I plan to bond them or get crowns.  I definitely don't plan on using post-surgical braces to close the gaps. 

ah, that's smart. im glad i didnt have to get coil springs. did gunson also say you had to wait 1 year after surgery before you could correct the gaps?

Marisama

• Private
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2012, 06:19:36 PM »
did gunson also say you had to wait 1 year after surgery before you could correct the gaps?

I haven't asked about that.  I've heard that you have to wait a year for any dental work.  This whole process has been one long waiting game, whether it's insurance or braces.  Waiting another year will be annoying but if that's the case, I guess I just have gaps in my teeth for the time being.

Marisama

• Private
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2012, 06:31:00 PM »
Bonding just adds resin material to natural teeth.  I think I'll opt for crowns.

Kristen

• Private
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2012, 06:34:03 PM »
You can try the bonding first and if your not happy you can always get the crowns or veneers after.   Bonding is relatively inexpensive and looks great also keeps your whole tooth intact.