Author Topic: Insurance - Sliding Genioplasty. Can it be covered?  (Read 2031 times)

trojans101

Insurance - Sliding Genioplasty. Can it be covered?
« on: December 21, 2015, 11:59:56 PM »
Hi guys,

Question: Have any of you been able to get insurance to cover or partially cover the cost of a standalone sliding genioplasty?

It will fix functional issues such as lip incompetence and a mentalis strain. I'm wondering... Is there anyway to put together something for insurance to see if they will cover it? Pictures or something? Does anyone have any insight into this? Would love it if part of the hospital bill could be covered. I know the hospital accepts my insurance, but since an SG is considered 'cosmetic' its not covered.

Love to hear some feedback and thoughts!

kjohnt

Re: Insurance - Sliding Genioplasty. Can it be covered?
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2015, 12:26:25 AM »
Based upon my research, I'd guess there are some rare cases in which insurance has paid for a SG, but we're talking a fraction of a percentage.  Many people with functional jaw issues can't get insurance coverage for bimax/LF1/BSSO, and the chance of a SG covered would be even less so I'd think.  I almost guarantee you'll need to pay out-of-pocket.  Once you come to terms with that, you're one step closer to accomplishing it.

chinnychinchin

Re: Insurance - Sliding Genioplasty. Can it be covered?
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2015, 03:20:41 AM »
SG is cosmetic so nah unless you were in an accident.