Author Topic: So unhappy with my double jaw surgery (Before and After photo added)  (Read 10703 times)

drizzlesome

Hi all,

I am a 27 year old male. I had a double jaw surgery to treat obstructive sleep apnea 14 days ago. My sleep apnea situation was moderate. The surgeon performed a counterclockwise rotation for my upper jaw and lower jaw. As a result, my upper jaw was moved forward for 1 mm, and my lower jaw was moved forward for 10 mm.

Now as the swelling disappears, I am so unhappy about the aesthetic outcome. Before the surgery, the shape of my face is oval from front view, where my chin is slim. From side view, I have a little receding chin. So I have a very young look. People usually think I'm around 20 y/o. However, after the surgery, the shape of my face became square... My chin is so wide now.. I feel that I became much more uglier and I lost my identity. I think that the surgeon forwarded my lower jaw way too much. And from the side, my chin is too protruding..

I had the surgery partially covered by the insurance company. Now if I want to have my lower jaw back for a few millimeters, that will be another surgery to pay. I feel so bad now..

« Last Edit: March 06, 2016, 11:41:37 PM by drizzlesome »

needadvancement

Re: So unhappy with my double jaw surgery...
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2015, 10:43:31 PM »
Pictures would help us understand better. I find it difficult to see the negatives in a male (who looks too young for his age) who just got himself a masculine, prominent chin and lower jaw, sounds like a dream I'm chasing after.

Lazlo

• Private
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2015, 10:52:22 PM »
none of this means s**t without pictures dude. there's no point even writing about it.

carlos30

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2015, 02:15:49 AM »
without at least side and front before-after pics, everything is pointless.

jesterofmalice

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2015, 02:30:34 AM »
Pictures would be great, pal.
I'd be particularly interested because your 'before' sounds like me now.
Small chin, slightly recessed, I look much much younger than my years etc.
And I'm hoping to get my overbite+crossbite fixed with jaw surgery.
I think BOTH of my jaws need to come forward too, so i'd love to see your before and after pics.

TMKA

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2015, 04:09:45 PM »
14 days isn't enough time to tell. It will be several more weeks till all the swelling goes down.

TMKA

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2015, 04:11:08 PM »
I can't believe he only moved your upper jaw forward 1 mm. Doesn't seem worth it for that little movement.

chinnychinchin

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2015, 06:06:29 PM »
You've only just hatched @ 14 days. Can I ask if you have thick skin vs. thin skin? For us thick-skinned individuals, swelling can take up to a year to run its course. Even @ 5 months post-op my face and profile are still in a state of flux due to a significant amount of residual swelling.

Swelling can skew everything terribly and evoke regret and misdiagnosis. My jaw looked receded as well during my first first few months (my upper lip was huge). Everyday I would toil and fuss whether I should've been more adamant about going for a larger movement. My advice is to give it time and also bring up your concerns with your surgeon.

drizzlesome

« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2015, 05:41:47 PM »
Pictures would help us understand better. I find it difficult to see the negatives in a male (who looks too young for his age) who just got himself a masculine, prominent chin and lower jaw, sounds like a dream I'm chasing after.

Thanks for replying. I've added before and after photos

drizzlesome

« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2015, 05:43:18 PM »
You've only just hatched @ 14 days. Can I ask if you have thick skin vs. thin skin? For us thick-skinned individuals, swelling can take up to a year to run its course. Even @ 5 months post-op my face and profile are still in a state of flux due to a significant amount of residual swelling.

Swelling can skew everything terribly and evoke regret and misdiagnosis. My jaw looked receded as well during my first first few months (my upper lip was huge). Everyday I would toil and fuss whether I should've been more adamant about going for a larger movement. My advice is to give it time and also bring up your concerns with your surgeon.

Hi Thanks for replying. How could I know if I have a thick or thin skin? Still feel that I have swelling on my face, but I'm not sure whether this is the reason that made me super ugly now..

drizzlesome

Re: So unhappy with my double jaw surgery (Before and After photo added)
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2015, 06:50:42 PM »
man what is going on when people look in the mirror after surgery. Sorry to say but you look like a million times better after surgery even with all the swelling dude. I'm sure the adjustment is not easy to your brain or something, but if all patients with such a massive improvement would walk in the office complaining and saying they look worse, as a surgeon I would want to step out of the business.

Sure there's a lot of swelling that you have still, so the result will be more subtle than it is now. But it looks like a major improvement now.  Your face was flat before now it has definition.

Who was your surgeon?? Please share.

you know if I wouldn't know better I would think these kind of posts are meant as a joke. Look at the before and after pictures man, I mean: are you serious?

Man I'm an asian. I really prefer soft facial lines instead of a big chin. Now my chin is not only wider than my mid face, it is asymmetric and square like. This made the lower third of my face very long and ugly.. I would kill myself if the shape of my face remains like this...

babyface99

« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2015, 06:58:12 PM »
you look better in the afters man idk why your complaining

PloskoPlus

« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2015, 07:27:01 PM »
I'd be more concerned about the lip incompetence.

drizzlesome

« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2015, 07:49:15 PM »
Well sorry man. Your chin will get smaller. You have lots of swelling. The swelling will sag towards the chin/jawline the first weeks/month(s) after surgery. It will still get smaller.

But frankly: your improvement is amazing at this point. I know that Asians prefer softer features. But Asian chicks are gonna reckon too that you look a lot more attractive. And softer features is not the same as a (very) recessed mandible/chin and flat face. That is not appealing to most people from whichever culture. I'm sure you won't end up with the very masculine strong jaw/chin either way, just without all the recession. Dude, go out and celebrate please.

Thanks man. I really wish I can have an oval chin again. My medical insurance covered part of the surgery and hospital stay this time. If I ever have to do this again for cosmetic reason, I don't think they'll cover any. So I have to save the huge amount of money for a fix.

drizzlesome

« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2015, 07:50:46 PM »
I'd be more concerned about the lip incompetence.

Hi, do you mean the lips not closing? Right now I still have arch bar attached to my upper and lower teeth. I really hope this issue will be gone when the archbar got removed...