Author Topic: Few Questions  (Read 736 times)

hangman

Few Questions
« on: January 27, 2016, 05:02:20 PM »
Over the last year I've been having jaw pain, popping near my ears, and difficulty sleeping due to what i believe are restricted air ways resulting in mild sleep apnea - I always wake up more tired than when I go to bed. Am I a candidate for Jaw surgery? My chin is flat and set back, but its not as recessed as some of the patients I have seen. Although my bite seems ok I am led to believe My upper jaw is to far out as my midface is slightly longer than I believe it should be. I have never had braces and for the most part my teeth are straight, minus one or two on the bottom. I was not a chronic mouth breather as a child but I did have allergies and asthma which i believe led me to breathe out of my mouth more than I should have.

I have a consultation with a dentist in a week and then probably an orthodontist after that. Am I likely going to need surgery? Will insurance cover it?

I know you're probably not doctors but I figure those who have already went through this might be able to shed some light on my situation.

I really don't mind having surgery, if it will fix my proportions and give me the ability to not feel tired after sleeping for twelve hours I think its well worth it. Money is an issue, I am a 19 year old college student and couldn't pay anything more than 2000 dollars out of pocket. I'm insured by Aetna and if it turns out I really have an issue im sure my parents would help chip in.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2016, 05:39:43 PM by hangman »

Yonechan

Re: Few Questions
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2016, 08:40:37 PM »
Tbh you SHOULD ask your oral surgeon and orthodentist about that. Remember that second opinion is also important. However, if the 'symptom' you experience is not disturbing your life (i.e you can live with it comfortably or get used to it), probably you shouldn't do the surgery. If you end up do double jaw surgery, your facial profile will change a lot. You may like it, but you might not like it. If it turns out you don't like it and you have paid hefty sum of money.. then tbh, you seriously don't want to end up that way. Anyway good luck! :)