Author Topic: Give me a prognosis please...  (Read 1333 times)

meepmeepmeep

Give me a prognosis please...
« on: February 08, 2016, 10:52:55 AM »
Please take a look at my x-ray and tell me what you think? I am pursuing jaw surgery for both functional and aesthetic purposes. I have a slight over jet that was once a severe over jet of probably 7 to 10mm before maxillary extractions and retractive braces. My bite is functional but there are definitely issues: posterior open bite due to severe tipping on two molars on one side and small cross bite on the other.

I know you all aren't doctors but I would love to hear opinions and I am wondering how high my genial angle/occlusal plane is and how far off from ideal?

Thank you!

[attachment deleted by admin]

thinkingme

Re: Give me a prognosis please...
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2016, 12:39:30 PM »
i can explain only anb. Anb angle which is like 5(4,96) is class 2. 0-4 is class 1 4+ class 2and if under 0 its class 3. My anb angle is 8 and i speak with 2 ortho(they are not doing orth surgery they in small city) say i dont need surgery. But i wont agree them i go find orthos who do surgeries.

I want to say if i dont need surgery u dont need surgery 2

meepmeepmeep

Re: Give me a prognosis please...
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2016, 06:38:35 PM »
i can explain only anb. Anb angle which is like 5(4,96) is class 2. 0-4 is class 1 4+ class 2and if under 0 its class 3. My anb angle is 8 and i speak with 2 ortho(they are not doing orth surgery they in small city) say i dont need surgery. But i wont agree them i go find orthos who do surgeries.

I want to say if i dont need surgery u dont need surgery 2

thanks for your advice! you may be right... i don't have any insufferable chronic pain at this point in my life and my bite is technically class 1 and functional. the reality is that i am a true skeletal class 2 because childhood ortho just masked my overbite. i don't have sleep apnea... yet. i am 27, thin and i don't drink or smoke so at this point in my life i could survive without surgery. however, i sleep every night with my mouth hanging wide open and mandible dropped back. this often results in waking up with a sore jaw and terrible pain in the occipital area of my head. im also chronically low energy and have a tendency towards depression since my preteens.

i can't help but think that someday this will result in even more serious issues. so my thinking is why not just go the surgery route now so i can enjoy the improved aesthetics while i am still somewhat young and then in the future when i am not as vital i will have already taken care of the structural issues that can cause serious illness.