Author Topic: Implants long-term  (Read 8110 times)

Schrödingers Jaw

Implants long-term
« on: February 17, 2016, 09:32:47 AM »
I feel uneasy about keeping implants in my face permanently, am I being paranoid here or are implants prone to complications over long time periods?

I plan orbital work and perhaps also jaw+cheek augmentation. Still very undecided on wether to pursue an osteotomy or implantation.

Are implants really a permanent solution?

salv

Re: Implants long-term
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2016, 02:23:27 PM »
They are not a long term thing unfortunately. Implants are a way for greedy doctors looking to make a quick buck. One major complication with most cases of implants is bone resorption. The degree of bone resorption differs from cases to case -  generally, the longer you have the implants the more you are at risk ...

Schrödingers Jaw

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2016, 02:43:54 PM »
They are not a long term thing unfortunately. Implants are a way for greedy doctors looking to make a quick buck. One major complication with most cases of implants is bone resorption. The degree of bone resorption differs from cases to case -  generally, the longer you have the implants the more you are at risk ...

I've seen people with implants for decades. The results were far better and marked than results from any osteotomy I've seen (jaw surgery aside), and no issues after decades. Guess it depends on who you'd ask.

This isn't very decisive...

stupidjaws

• CFO
  • The panic the vomit the yuppies networking
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2016, 02:58:27 PM »
haven't seen one natural jaw implant result (live) in my life; seen about 4/5 from osteotomies:
i'm not talking of pictures but real people who had surgery.

Schrödingers Jaw

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2016, 09:20:42 AM »
haven't seen one natural jaw implant result (live) in my life; seen about 4/5 from osteotomies:
i'm not talking of pictures but real people who had surgery.

Have you seen any orbital augment?

stupidjaws

• CFO
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2016, 11:16:36 AM »
no

Vic

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2016, 11:39:29 AM »
Have you seen any orbital augment?

Wouldn't you be afraid of possibly getting an infection so close to the your eyes with orbital implants

Schrödingers Jaw

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2016, 11:50:18 AM »
Wouldn't you be afraid of possibly getting an infection so close to the your eyes with orbital implants

Well, my orbitals are quite bad. As long as the chance is low I think I'll take that risk actually.

chinnychinchin

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2016, 10:59:47 PM »
I've also never seen a natural jaw implant result perhaps due to the fact a natural result should also involve the upper jaw.

needadvancement

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2016, 11:21:26 PM »
If you go to a very good surgeon who places the implants correctly, there doesn't seem to be evidence of long term problems(though lack of proof doesn't always mean that there's no proof). Why I'd never consider it is because of the permanent risk of infection, if you play contact sports regularly and don't plan on quitting any time soon, imagine an injury where you get bashed in the face on the implants. Even with a sedentary lifestyle I wouldn't want to risk any sort of accidents.

Schrödingers Jaw

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2016, 02:02:51 PM »
The implants can be removed easily if you get an infection. I'm not sure if I understand the big deal. And look into figures :doesn't seem many people get an infection in the first place. Compare it to complication rates of osteotomies.

Allover the results I've seen from implants were better than from osteotomy (not talking about bimax surgery). Simply because were the augmentation will be is more predictable and can be determined upfront. If you want augmentation somewhere you can get it with an implant. Not so much with bone: it is not a jigsaw puzzle that you can put together to just get augmentation where we need it.

I need orbital work, I'm trying to decide between having the same procedure as earl with Sinn (who is now 77 years old) or get implants with Yaremchuck.

molestrip

• Private
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2016, 09:26:58 AM »
People are right on both ends of the spectrum here. Many people get implants and many people can keep them for decades without problems. Once put in, you can never go back to good as new. Here's a list of problems that can and do happen:

- Implant erodes and the fragments cause foreign body reactions.
- Bone erodes under the implant. I'm skeptical about this one. Bones shrink with age anyway.
- Improper implant contours. What's flush with bone at 30 probably isn't at 50. Good facial balance at 30 becomes bulky at 50. Implants don't recede with the rest of your face.
- Implants can migrate. Bones change, hardware moves, things loosen, etc.
- Implants harbor infections. Years or decades later. All surgeons see these, even those frequently mentioned here.
- Not all are removable. The ones with "bony ingrowth", not coming out. Like the new CT-bone ones.
- They can compress nerves. Particularly those infraorbital rim ones have to run around infraorbital nerve.
- Damage to soft tissue around them in surgery can be unaesthetic.
- They are hard to get symmetric and can become asymmetric with time
- You might not be a good surgical candidate for removal later if they cause problems
- 50 years is a REALLY long time for anything to survive, in or outside the body. It's 2016 so take a look at objects made in the 70s for comparison.
- You can only augment to today's deficiencies. As your face recedes you might want more to remain young looking.
- Osteotomies have their own problems. Sinus cavity exposure from jaw surgery is bad enough for example. Unpredictability. Difficult to access hardware. Irregular contours. You didn't ask, just to name a few.

On the plus sides:

- Bony deficiencies create other problems. Eyelid problems, dry eyes, etc
- Some people are unwilling to accept normal airway jaw surgery due to aesthetic compromise. Implants make it possible.
- The risks of implants may be better than facelifts
- Mental health problems from lack of confidence are no fun

The point is, yes implants really do have problems but just because they have problems doesn't mean you shouldn't do them. The alternatives have problems too. We don't get the option of a problem-free life. My impression is that doctors think that 50s is the optimal time to consider them because you're unlikely to live long enough to have to deal with the problems for long if you do. And, of course, the longer you wait the better your options will be. Who knows, maybe by then non-surgical solutions will exist, like growth hormone injections. Surgical options will improve, like lab grown augmentations, accurate soft tissue models, resorbable load bearing bone cements (+ benefits from less retraction), etc. Once you get surgery, you're stuck with those compromises for life.

Schrödingers Jaw

« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2016, 04:08:25 AM »
I have moderate orbital recession, negative vector, weak zygomatic projection around the eyes and all that.

I've narrowed my options down to either a modified lefort iii like earl had with doctor Sinn or implantation in which case I have my eyes on Yaremchuck.

Sinn is 77 years old and will likely be 78-79 when I have the money to hire him, on the other hand I am adverse against keeping those implants in my body for decades.

stupidjaws

• CFO
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2016, 05:23:42 AM »

molestrip great post, i lovethemoon you're an uneducated useless poster.
I had silicone chin implant and it eroded the bone, it was difficult to take out and also when out it caused a bulbous chin needing surgery to fix it.

Implants SUCK, all of them.

DO NOT get implants.

molestrip

• Private
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2016, 11:22:34 AM »
I wasn't advocating for either approach, osteotomy or implant. But I do want to comment on the "surgical candidate" comment. Health problems can make surgery risky, type 2 diabetes for example interferes with healing. Why aren't more surgeons doing osteotomies? Best guess, results aren't as good.