Author Topic: Implants long-term  (Read 8207 times)

triot

Re: Implants long-term
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2016, 02:59:26 PM »
I've seen two cases of bone erosion because of implants:
A chin implant (CT-Scan) - this wasn't even erosion anymore. The implant literally inflitrated the bone like a tumor and touched the roots of the teeth. Ofc there was an infection along with it.

Cheek bone implants (CT-Scan and Skull model) - the bone was flattened like, the wasn't even the natural curve anymore, just a straight and flattened surface.

I wouldn't get implants. Never. Even though I'm in desperate need for cheekbone enhancement.
But everyone can do as they wish.

Schrödingers Jaw

« Reply #16 on: February 29, 2016, 09:33:49 AM »
I've seen two cases of bone erosion because of implants:
A chin implant (CT-Scan) - this wasn't even erosion anymore. The implant literally inflitrated the bone like a tumor and touched the roots of the teeth. Ofc there was an infection along with it.

Cheek bone implants (CT-Scan and Skull model) - the bone was flattened like, the wasn't even the natural curve anymore, just a straight and flattened surface.

I wouldn't get implants. Never. Even though I'm in desperate need for cheekbone enhancement.
But everyone can do as they wish.

But thousands of people get implants each year, how can it be so popular if there isn't a high satisfaction rate?

boyo

« Reply #17 on: February 29, 2016, 11:41:15 AM »
Implants made of calcium phosphate will not erode the bone.

stupidjaws

• CFO
  • The panic the vomit the yuppies networking
« Reply #18 on: February 29, 2016, 01:26:11 PM »
it does not have a high satisfaction rate! find 1 happy patient!!!

triot

« Reply #19 on: February 29, 2016, 02:10:34 PM »
But thousands of people get implants each year, how can it be so popular if there isn't a high satisfaction rate?

I didn't say there isn't a high satisfaction rate (initially) I just said what the complications may be. The ones I mentioned was stuff that happened years after the surgeries, implants don't infiltrate bone in a week.

I also read many negative (almost all) reviews on RealSelf. Most of the people thought they were unnatural and then there were some catastrophic ones where e.g. the implants shifted and hurt tissue and caused somekind of lymphatic edemas afterwards (not cureable).

I don't know how high the incidence is. At least I think erosion is there in almost all cases. But I'm only talking about the standard implants. I never heard nor have seen something about orbital rim implants.

stupidjaws

• CFO
« Reply #20 on: February 29, 2016, 03:06:18 PM »
" I have done many cases of cheek and chin implants over the past 25 years.  I do not use jaw implants due to their higher incidence of issues after placement.  One of these is the movement of the implants, even when they are screwed in...which is a must, due to the Masseter muscle that moves every time you open and close the mouth.  In contrast, cheek or chin implants do not need to be screwed in place."

Francis palmer...

Said by a dr who already uses (awful) implants, so biased in favour of them....DO NOT USE IMPLANTS GUYS!

Schrödingers Jaw

« Reply #21 on: February 29, 2016, 03:59:38 PM »
" I have done many cases of cheek and chin implants over the past 25 years.  I do not use jaw implants due to their higher incidence of issues after placement.  One of these is the movement of the implants, even when they are screwed in...which is a must, due to the Masseter muscle that moves every time you open and close the mouth.  In contrast, cheek or chin implants do not need to be screwed in place."

Francis palmer...

Said by a dr who already uses (awful) implants, so biased in favour of them....DO NOT USE IMPLANTS GUYS!

I guess I'll try my luck with Dr. Sinn then and have him dislodge and move my orbitals -even if he will be nearly 80 by the time I can afford him.

ascolta

« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2016, 10:17:43 AM »
I think I learned the hard way that implants are not the way to go. I had custom malar and infraorbital rim implants (silicone) with Dr. Yaremchuk two years ago, and although other people can't tell, I think they look sort of grotesque. The soft tissue sits strangely on them. There are so many things that are off about them. I look different, not better.

I really want to have them removed before I have double jaw surgery (is there any reason to have double jaw surgery first, and then remove the implants later? I'm conflicted about this.) I'm scared of the excess skin that will be left over, but hopefully the double jaw surgery will stretch it out.

I just wanted to chime in with some insights I've developed from my own experience. I think infraorbital rim augmentation wasn't right for me, even though the whole midface was recessed, because I also have small, deep set and somewhat close set eyes, and a prominent brow ridge. The implants make my eyes look even smaller and more deep set. I don't know if this means that (if that were possible surgically) my eyes should also be brought forward in a midface osteotomy, as in the whole orbital complex (a Lefort III doesn't do that, right?).

Another thing I wanted to say is that the risk of bone erosion is not as high as some of you guys think. It really only happens if the implant moves a lot, micromovements too. It's an issue with improperly secured chin or cheek implants. They should always be screwed in. Also, custom implants like mine attach perfectly to the bone underneath so they don't move at all.

Honestly my goal now is to have a class I skeleton, and f**k the midface. It was always my jawline that bothered me and not the midface. I can live with it. And I can always wait a couple decades for midface osteotomies to improve.

Schrödingers Jaw

« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2016, 09:23:08 AM »
I think I learned the hard way that implants are not the way to go. I had custom malar and infraorbital rim implants (silicone) with Dr. Yaremchuk two years ago, and although other people can't tell, I think they look sort of grotesque. The soft tissue sits strangely on them. There are so many things that are off about them. I look different, not better.

I really want to have them removed before I have double jaw surgery (is there any reason to have double jaw surgery first, and then remove the implants later? I'm conflicted about this.) I'm scared of the excess skin that will be left over, but hopefully the double jaw surgery will stretch it out.

I just wanted to chime in with some insights I've developed from my own experience. I think infraorbital rim augmentation wasn't right for me, even though the whole midface was recessed, because I also have small, deep set and somewhat close set eyes, and a prominent brow ridge. The implants make my eyes look even smaller and more deep set. I don't know if this means that (if that were possible surgically) my eyes should also be brought forward in a midface osteotomy, as in the whole orbital complex (a Lefort III doesn't do that, right?).

Another thing I wanted to say is that the risk of bone erosion is not as high as some of you guys think. It really only happens if the implant moves a lot, micromovements too. It's an issue with improperly secured chin or cheek implants. They should always be screwed in. Also, custom implants like mine attach perfectly to the bone underneath so they don't move at all.

Honestly my goal now is to have a class I skeleton, and f**k the midface. It was always my jawline that bothered me and not the midface. I can live with it. And I can always wait a couple decades for midface osteotomies to improve.

I was considering Yaremchuck for orbital implants. However my orbitals are for sure recessed, do you think implants just wasn't right for you or do you consider them a bad idea in general?

How was the consultation with dr. Y and how much did the it all cost?

Also really interested in recovery.

I believe you should remove your implant prior to getting jaw surgery, otherwise there is no telling how it will affect your face. They might be misplaced aftwerwards

stupidjaws

• CFO
« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2016, 10:47:01 AM »
schroingers: he is CLEARLY stating implants are not good in general, not just for him.

He even told you he learned this the hard way, and i did so too....you've LUCKY you have people like us, don't get scammed!

ascolta

« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2016, 12:14:52 PM »
I also had a recessed midface including the infraorbital rim but the implants weren't an ideal way to solve that. I think they have a lot of problems and I don't think I'd ever recommend jaw/chin implants because there are much better alternatives, but maybe midface implants do have a niche since osteotomies in that region are so rare, difficult and unpredictable. Also unlike jaw implants, cheek implants can give anterior projection and not just lateral. If I could go back in time I probably wouldn't have done it, though. 

HOWEVER I must say that since both my jaws are recessed, I have a very thick soft tissue envelope, and my buccinator is super hypertrophied due to improper swallowing (think trombone player), it's hard to judge the implants fairly. Part of why I think they look "grotesque" in some pictures is because my cheeks (not cheekbones) are just so thick and big. I want to wait if possible until after the double jaw surgery to judge the implants (getting a second opinion with Dr. Gunson to see if that's a possibility). Right now my face is 1 0 0. Maybe once it's 1 1 1 my opinion of the implants will change. I would hate to go to 0 1 1 and then miss the implants. They're actually pretty subtle. For whoever's interested, the implant size is about 2.5 mm at rim and 3 to 4.5 mm at malar. Interestingly, those 2.5 mm were already enough to give me a positive vector, which probably means that they weren't that recessed originally.

Schrödingers Jaw

« Reply #26 on: March 03, 2016, 12:38:55 PM »
My midface isn't really recessed just my orbitals. They've always been very weak, I suppose underdeveloped might be more accurate. I'll visit Sinn as soon as I got the funds but I'm very concerned about his age tbh.

If I cannot find a good alternative I will get implants anyway because, quite frankly, I don't think the area around my eyes can get much worse.

PloskoPlus

« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2016, 05:54:07 PM »
Why silicone and not medpor?  I thought Dr Y was really into medpor?