Author Topic: Double jaw surgery with class I bite  (Read 957 times)

Tezcatli

Double jaw surgery with class I bite
« on: March 02, 2016, 03:54:44 PM »
Hey guys, so anybody here has the same problem as me? My bite is class I, it is good, however I have a gummy smile and a retroface, that is, both my upper and lower jaw are somewhat recessed, that is why they fit in the first place. My chin is also average but not as good as I'd want it.

I've used braces in the past fo fix a diastema and a few other minor problems, my orthodontist said I should consider jaw surgery in the future because of the gummy smile and because it makes you able to breathe better.

Fast forward a few years, without braces now, I consulted a maxfac surgeon and he said I was a good looking guy and showed me tons of before and afters from his patients, most with much more severe deformities, anyway he said I could benefit from it, although he said that himself, in my position, wouldn't do it but understands why a younger person might want it.

He also said I have an advantage, having a class I bite I don't need to go through braces before the surgery, he can install braces during the surgery because he needs it to fix the rubber bands or possibly metal wires.

My ortho and surgeon got into contact and ended up preferring to get me braces right now to fix some minor relapses(slightly rotated molars) before surgery and I can't have surgery right now anyway, so I got some good old metal in my mouth and the surgery is scheduled for 6 months from now, my orthodontist asked for tons of xrays(I will try to get a picture later) and a moulding cast while the surgeon wants a head CT scan around 1 month before surgery.

I know it is a hard surgery, but I feel I will regret in the future if I don't do it now, I'm on my early 20s. I look mostly fine head on but I hate smiling in pictures because of the gummy smile.

A funny thing is that they both said I would look VERY different after surgery, I'd need to even get a new ID/Driver's license LOL. My dentist said I have a lean face so my facial muscles will be very apparent after the Lefort I, right now my face is kinda of flat although he said it is not that bad for a man, man don't look that bad even with class 3 bites and retruded maxillas, however they look bad with class 2 and receding mandibles and for women it's the opposite(to a certain degree of course).

Anyway, I've become a little fixated on that, I've read maxfac books and sites, it is really amazing what these guys can do. I'm pretty sure I will go for it but I wanted to know what you guys and gals think, if anybody was in my situation and did the surgery and so on, did your face change that much?

Tl;dr

20 something male with class I bite, gummy smile and recessed mandible/maxilla wants double jaw surgery with genio, lefort I advancement with impaction, BSSO with CCW rotation and genio with advancement and possibly vertical augmentation. Will my face change that much? Anybody had a similar experience? Would you do it? Am I crazy? lol

Thanks in advance

I will add a profile pic so you can get a better idea, will try to add x-rays later. As you can see my upper lip is somewhat behind the lower lip, the surgeon said you cannot really predict soft tissue movement but it should get better.

[attachment deleted by admin]

kjohnt

Re: Double jaw surgery with class I bite
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2016, 08:11:04 PM »
I fit your description, but your profile looks better than mine.  Check out my thread.