Author Topic: Can a Lefort shorten a long philtrum?  (Read 7346 times)

Picollo30

Can a Lefort shorten a long philtrum?
« on: March 04, 2016, 01:41:34 PM »
can a lefort combined with ccw reduce the distance from upper lip to nose ? i know of lip lifts but the scarring would take away any improvement i would get.

are there any other options?

needadvancement

Re: Can a Lefort shorten a long philtrum?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2016, 01:43:31 PM »
I've read that it can do the opposite. They didn't elaborate though.

Vic

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2016, 01:49:52 PM »
If you've got a long philtrum then the only way to shorten it would be by a lip lift. Impaction will still leave you with the same size philtrum without the support from the bone, so your upper lip will just flop. CCW will make you your teeth stick out, if its not to correct some type of bone deformity. Having double jaw surgery just to reduce your philtrum is a no call and will make you look worse. There are really good plastic surgeons who are good at lip lifts and the scars below the nose will eventually fade away anyway

Kambrook

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2016, 11:12:34 PM »
Do you have the option of obscuring the scar from a lip lift with facial hair? Perhaps a tan would also help. In most of the photos I've seen the scar isn't immediately obvious, but it does tend to give the appearance of someone having a cold (philtrum redness due to constantly blowing one's nose). The other thing to be aware of is the potential affect on the nose and nasolabial folds.

needadvancement

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2016, 03:46:48 AM »
Do you have the option of obscuring the scar from a lip lift with facial hair? Perhaps a tan would also help. In most of the photos I've seen the scar isn't immediately obvious, but it does tend to give the appearance of someone having a cold (philtrum redness due to constantly blowing one's nose). The other thing to be aware of is the potential affect on the nose and nasolabial folds.

And also numbness and worse case scenario a bad surgeon will damage muscles and other important tissue which could leave you with a permanently disfigured smile.

Not trying to like defame this whole procedure but I looked into it years ago and this is not some easy straight forward surgery like it may seem to some. For a lip lift I'd only go to a world class experienced PS, if I was gonna do it which I won't.

Picollo30

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2016, 01:59:43 PM »
And also numbness and worse case scenario a bad surgeon will damage muscles and other important tissue which could leave you with a permanently disfigured smile.

Not trying to like defame this whole procedure but I looked into it years ago and this is not some easy straight forward surgery like it may seem to some. For a lip lift I'd only go to a world class experienced PS, if I was gonna do it which I won't.

on lookism one of their legit theories is that a long philtrum is a death sentence for a guy when it come to attraction lol

needadvancement

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2016, 02:33:12 PM »
^I don't know, I think this is a good procedure for people who have very little tooth show especially when they smile. But like I said it's risky.

Bobbit

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2016, 07:00:15 PM »
can a lefort combined with ccw reduce the distance from upper lip to nose ? i know of lip lifts but the scarring would take away any improvement i would get.

are there any other options?

Really good plastic surgeons do lip lifts all the time - -  and normally one can't see the scar after 6 months to one year - -  absent a magnifying glass type inspection.

Kambrook

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2016, 10:03:03 PM »
on lookism one of their legit theories is that a long philtrum is a death sentence for a guy when it come to attraction lol
LOL I used to post on that site (and the ones that preceded it). It's true that a long philtrum is unattractive, but it has to be considered relative to one's other features -- nose, chin, lips, etc. For example, I have a 20 mm philtrum (very long) but because my entire face is so long it doesn't look so disproportionate. I saw a photo of a guy with a much shorter face (and a very thin upper lip) who also had a 20 mm philtrum and it completely destroyed his aesthetics. A chin implant or sliding genio to add vertical length to the chin can offset the negative effect of a long philtrum to some extent.

Note that it's not only the length of the philtrum that matters but also the degree of concavity (or convexity). Those with long philtrums will usually have significant convexity in their philtrums as well (i.e. a chimp-like appearance). This can be address with orthodontics and maxillary advancement.

FryGuy

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2016, 10:48:16 PM »
From what i've read, seems like advancement of the upper jaw causes the philtrum to get longer and there aren't any jaw surgery solutions to shorten it.

Has anyone heard of any specific numbers or comparisons?

Like, a certain amount of advancement is known to add a certain amount of length to the philtrum?

molestrip

• Private
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2016, 02:02:27 PM »
My impression is that the philtrum gets shorter after advancement. Bigger volume, same amount of tissue. At a minimum, the change in angle causes it to appear shorter due to simple geometry. I looked up papers once on models, did some calculations, and mine looked like it'd be perfect after surgery on its own.

PloskoPlus

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2016, 02:08:02 PM »
My impression is that the philtrum gets shorter after advancement. Bigger volume, same amount of tissue. At a minimum, the change in angle causes it to appear shorter due to simple geometry. I looked up papers once on models, did some calculations, and mine looked like it'd be perfect after surgery on its own.
Mine dominates my face now.

Kambrook

« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2016, 10:54:19 PM »
Mine dominates my face now.
Did you measure the length before and after?

PloskoPlus

« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2016, 02:19:46 AM »
Did you measure the length before and after?

I think it's the same.