Author Topic: Any experience with nasal surgeries during jaw surgery?  (Read 1854 times)

Tezcatli

Any experience with nasal surgeries during jaw surgery?
« on: March 20, 2016, 08:33:04 PM »
Anybody here got a corrected septum, turbinate reduction or nasal floor recountoring? I have some blockage and my surgeon said he could perform it during surgery(as the lefort I exposes the nasal base). Good or bad outcomes?
Thanks

jawsaw

Re: Any experience with nasal surgeries during jaw surgery?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2016, 08:39:46 PM »
My surgeon took a look at my nasal passage. He said my septum was okay (had previous septoplasty) and didn't touch the septum, had a tubinectomy and the results are amazing. I am still healing, but I can breathe SO MUCH BETTER. I am very happy.

jawsaw

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2016, 07:35:39 PM »
There are turbinates in your nose and I believe their primary function is to moisten the nasal passage. Portion of these protrusions are removed to increase the width of the nostril and therefore allow an improvement in nasal respiration. Goole image search it.

jawsaw

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2016, 08:21:14 PM »
You can also google "empty nose syndrome" if you'd like. I mentioned to my surgeon how much it scared me and he basically said empty nose syndrome sucks and is really hard to treat. He then said "I wouldn't worry about it too much" in such a confident and glib way that I trusted him and stopped worrying. It paid off. Because I almost didn't go through with it, and it has immensely improved the quality of my life.

terry947

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2016, 10:02:57 PM »
The only real away to fix breathing issues is through the expansion of the nasal floor. Ie. MARPE.

ID NEVER get my turbinate removed. Even if the risk is small. When my nose is dry is sucks major ass. I could not live like that for the rest of my life

jawsaw

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2016, 10:33:37 PM »
Wut is marpe

terry947

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2016, 10:35:40 PM »
Google it. There's not much info on it but it's an expansion screw impacted in our palate. Expansion creates more boney movement vs sarpe which is teeth and some bone.

Tezcatli

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2016, 01:49:29 AM »
The only real away to fix breathing issues is through the expansion of the nasal floor. Ie. MARPE.

ID NEVER get my turbinate removed. Even if the risk is small. When my nose is dry is sucks major ass. I could not live like that for the rest of my life

They do not always remove the turbinates but reduce it a bit. It depends on your case, some people have enlarged turbinates. You can also change the nasal floor in one surgery vs expansion but I don't really know much about it. I will read more about MARPE thanks.