Author Topic: Shall I get my jaw surgery redone??  (Read 2708 times)

Breakkate

Shall I get my jaw surgery redone??
« on: April 06, 2016, 09:53:30 AM »
Hello!

This forum was of great support to me during my jaw surgery process in 2013. I had a 1cm over jet and was told that my upper lip was too short which made me have a pretty gummy smile. As a result I had double jaw surgery to fix this. It went well, except after the surgery the elastic bands on the right side of my mouth snapped. I called the orthodontist to tell them but they said it wasnt urgent. I felt as if my jaw was being dragged to left hand side. Also I got my braces taken off 2 months post op which I think is very early and my jaw was still healing. Basically I've always felt as if my left side was fine, the teeth meet up nicely but my teeth don't meet on the right side. I can't chew on that side without immense concentration. Also my bottom jaw has now recceeded almost back to where it was. So annoying. They have suggested that I get my braces put back on and redo surgery on my bottom jaw.

I'm having a bit of a dilemma. I am now almost in my mid20s and am worrying about having braces again. I'm worried that it will relapse again and it will all be for nothing. I don't even know if I'll qualify to have it done on the NHS again so I guess that'll be a big factor!

What would you do? Any thoughts would be appreciated

kjohnt

Re: Shall I get my jaw surgery redone??
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2016, 10:58:11 PM »
If I was you and wasn't happy with my current situation, I'd fix it, whatever that may entail.  If that means second jaw surgery, then second jaw surgery it is.  Where there's a will there's a way.

Did you have rigid fixation (screws and plates) to hold everything together as part of your surgery?

LyraM45

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2016, 07:54:07 AM »
I'd go get some ortho opinions.  Hopefully if anything, your ortho just didn't close your bite up enough and you might need it fine tuned.  Hopefully not a revision surgery, because I've been there, and it's no fun!

april

• Private
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2016, 09:44:12 PM »
I would find out the exact reason for the relapse. If it's left unknown, you don't want to be doing it again and have the same thing happen. Get new opinions and new scans (your old team might not want to admit any wrong-doing on their part, and will probably blame you in some form or another).