Author Topic: Dr Deschamps Braly in San Fransisco  (Read 3637 times)

Vic

Dr Deschamps Braly in San Fransisco
« on: May 06, 2016, 11:00:38 AM »
Has anyone had surgery with Dr Deschamps Braly in San Fransisco?

Dharma

Re: Dr Deschamps Braly in San Fransisco
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2016, 04:58:59 PM »
Just recently, in fact. 

I initiated contact with his office yesterday.  I don't know a ton, but have heard from others that he is quite well respected.  His staff reported doing many revisions and very complicated cases that others avoid.  My experiences thus far have been positive. 

That all I got...

Vic

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2016, 03:13:22 AM »
Oh cool, what are you thinking of having done?

Dharma

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2016, 10:44:26 PM »
Ugh...a lot. 

The things I'm considering are total MMA revision with genio and a right side only jaw implant. 

Vic

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2016, 12:49:16 AM »
How much did he quote for all that? I'd be looking to get Mandibular setback with ccw rotation and maxillary impaction with cw rotation and genioplasty.

sushilover2

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2016, 12:54:22 PM »
Ugh...a lot. 

The things I'm considering are total MMA revision with genio and a right side only jaw implant. 

While some surgeons do in fact use jaw implants, you'd have to wait at least 6 months for surgery to heal from the MMA revision before you can do the implant. Can't be done at the same time.

JimmyTheGent

• Im likely the reason your Karma is so high.
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2016, 11:58:20 AM »
Just recently, in fact. 

I initiated contact with his office yesterday.  I don't know a ton, but have heard from others that he is quite well respected.  His staff reported doing many revisions and very complicated cases that others avoid.  My experiences thus far have been positive. 

That all I got...

From his website "New techniques in orthognathic surgery mean faster recovery. There are new techniques in orthognathic surgery that decrease the swelling and downtime associated with larger operations. Using techniques that involve less trauma to the tissue and by using Platelet Rich Plasma PRP"

Did he explain what any of these new techniques that he uses???  Are they similar to Dr Alfaro Hernandez in Barcelona Spain (Twist technique)????
Has he used  Platelet Rich Plasma PRP on anyone here and did it help? 
I really want to find a surgeon who is the least invasive and is known for his patient's quick recovery time all while curing my sleep apnea while keeping aesthetics in mind.  I know Im asking for a lot!!!
The more I learn about the gamble that is jaw surgery the more afraid I become!!!   :-(

Dharma

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2016, 08:21:48 PM »
I've scoured the research on PRP and the results are mixed.  Its pretty contentious.  I have friends, other physicians, who provide it for a bunch of stuff, and TBH, they aren't convinced it does much! What it DOES do, is put a lot of money in people's pockets--its very lucrative and requires no time, energy, or real expertise.  I was interested in getting injections for some injuries and they all told me not to bother.  That said, I do know people who swear it did some stuff for them (shhh...I think it was placebo!).   

PRP is basically your bodies own concentrated anti-inflammatory.  In the context of jaw surgery, unless you used A LOT, I'm not convinced it would do much--rubber bullets are effective against a robber maybe (rotator cuff injury), but a tank (jaw surgery)?

Again, this is NOT my area of expertise but I know a bit about it and I'm not convinced yet (probably never?). 

earl25

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2016, 05:20:21 PM »
I wonder what he uses for orbital rim augmentation

molestrip

• Private
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2016, 02:53:18 PM »
A friend of mine has a Phd in microbiology and worked for one of the PRP manufacturers. She told me there's wide variation between manufacturers and between samples. She said some will get a good concentration and others not so much (and she feels bad for those people). My FIL worked for a pharmaceutical company and said the success rate for PRP in grafts is low, 20-40% as I recall.

May I ask why you're considering jaw implants rather than grafting?

Dharma

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2016, 02:31:05 PM »
I'm open to the idea of a graft vs an implant.  In fact, I might even prefer to not have a big piece of something extra in my face (which is ridiculous as I already have a pound of titanium in here...). 

ditterbo

« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2016, 06:17:38 PM »
What about Braly's counterpart/mentor, Dr. Ousterhout?  I was just talking to Dr. Terino's patient coordinator, who claimed she and Dr. Terino regularly go to panels, conferences etc. with only the biggest name doctors in the industry.  Funny enough, she never heard of Braly but candidly recommended Ousterhout for maxillofacial surgery, knowing him from the 'group'.  She sounded way more arrogant and snobby on the phone than I'm leading on here.. prepping me for Terino's huge surgical fees I'm sure.