Author Topic: Lifting Weights / Strength Training  (Read 3495 times)

kjohnt

Lifting Weights / Strength Training
« on: May 03, 2016, 02:26:59 PM »
Who here lifts weights on a regular basis, i.e. 3+ days per week?

I'm trying to get a realistic expectation of time off post surgery.  I see varying time frames and some of them seem overly conservative... looking for someone with experience.

thinkingme

Re: Lifting Weights / Strength Training
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2016, 02:38:56 PM »
im in one orthognatic surgery group at facebook and someone discuss this. They said u start low training at the end of 1month. after 2,5-3month u can do  deadlift,squat,bench press too.

kjohnt

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2016, 08:57:11 PM »
I'm hoping to be back in the full swing of things within a month, but IDK if that's possible.  Concerns include bleeding if wounds/vessels aren't fully healed and complications if I clench my jaw.  Are these things to be concerned about after 3-4 weeks?

Lazlo

• Private
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2016, 10:55:34 PM »
I'm hoping to be back in the full swing of things within a month, but IDK if that's possible.  Concerns include bleeding if wounds/vessels aren't fully healed and complications if I clench my jaw.  Are these things to be concerned about after 3-4 weeks?

yeah. I highly doubt it. I remember Arnett's nurse telling me not to do anything for a month and then light exercise like stretching but no inversions (i.e. should stands in yoga etc.) for 3 months. But I dunno, A and G are super cautious about everything. Guess no one with jaw surgery on the board these days to let us know.

strongjawman

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2016, 11:33:23 PM »
No idea, I hope it's not more than 2 months though, I would strongly consider taking test during that time if that was the case..

Although I think I will just reduce intensity and focus muscular endurance without going to failure. My max strength might decrease, but at least I will be physically fit to regain it and not lose too much conditioning.

JawKid7

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2016, 01:06:55 PM »
I started training again 3 months post op
"Everyone sees what you appear to be, few experience what you really are.”

had upper jaw surgery on 5th October 2015

kjohnt

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2016, 10:16:19 PM »
Damn.  I started lifting in January of 2005 and haven't missed any significant time since.  This is going to be very difficult for me.  I've never done test or anything but maybe if the time off is significant I'll think about a cycle to get me back to my current level.

PloskoPlus

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2016, 10:21:31 PM »
Damn.  I started lifting in January of 2005 and haven't missed any significant time since.  This is going to be very difficult for me.  I've never done test or anything but maybe if the time off is significant I'll think about a cycle to get me back to my current level.
3 months off will make you realise how pointless weight training is.

kjohnt

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2016, 12:39:42 AM »

Why do you believe that?

chinnychinchin

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2016, 02:58:15 AM »
I'm pretty active and lift about 4-5 times week. After my surgery, I waited 6 weeks before starting back on light weights. The reason they tell you to go light is because they're afraid you'll clench and apply pressure on your jaws. If you can lift without clenching, you should be good.

That's a pretty cynical point of view you have there.

JawKid7

« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2016, 12:12:03 PM »

no need to jump on a cycle you'll get your strength back over time
"Everyone sees what you appear to be, few experience what you really are.”

had upper jaw surgery on 5th October 2015

Lazlo

• Private
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2016, 12:30:21 PM »

Damn brah are you stacked? Where do you live by the way? I mean what city.

Lazlo

• Private
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2016, 12:31:28 PM »

Totally disagree. Lifting weights keeps you sane. And stacked.

Dharma

« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2016, 01:31:31 PM »
DAAAAAAAMMMMNNN IT.....

I was pretty stacked at about 205 with ~10%BF prior to all this jaw stuff.  I had an injury prior to my surgery (hernia and hip issue) that resulted in a significant change in my workouts (less weights, no heavy deads or squats, etc) for about 4 - 6 months.  I started hitting KBs hard and doing functional training solely.  I got down to about 185 - 190 but was pretty ripped.  Then jaw surgery....

I lost 15 pounds in 3 weeks!  At week 3 I started really pushing my intake up and starting taking long walks and doing a warm up/mobility routine I do to get things moving again.  I was very careful about not clenching my jaw or holding tension in my face.  Right before my revision (between week 4-5 I think) I was starting to do some body weight stuff.  It felt GREAT.  It was probably much earlier than most surgeons would suggest but I feel pretty strongly that in general, we underestimate our bodies need for movement and work, even when injured or recovering from surgery.  You have to be very careful, cautious, slow, and conservative (relatively here, obviously).  It drastically helped my mood and my swelling actually appeared to decrease with my efforts. 

Since the revision, I was back to liquids (vs thicker blender mush) which really hit me hard again.  MY body was not super happy about having the assault of another surgery so soon after my first one.  I've lost a good 20 lbs from where I started 6 weeks ago! 

I'm 10 days out from my partial revision and I'm starting to take longer walks again and am doing some stretches/mobility work.  I do a few very easy gentle body weight squats every ~45 minutes or so when working on research from home.  I also have a standing desk which I highly recommend. 

So....

I think the general advice from surgeons will be to wait about a month before you start really moving again, 6-8 weeks before you lift anything much more significant than your body/limbs, and 3+ months before you start really building up to more challenging work.

"You should always listen to your surgeon."  I said it.  That's for you.

If you're ME, though?  I listen very closely to my body.  Generally,  I start doing progressive mobility/walking within a week or 2 of major surgery (of course, depends on the surgery), start body weight stuff at week 2-3, progress to more difficult/challenging body weight stuff and may add very light lifting around 4-6 weeks, and then I"m back on the horse around 8 weeks.

kjohnt

« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2016, 05:00:54 PM »
Damn brah are you stacked? Where do you live by the way? I mean what city.

I'm 190 lbs now in decent shape and respectable strength, but my "fight weight" is closer to 175.  I'm going to get close to that by mid July or August.  And I'm in Portland.