Author Topic: How should I go about choosing my Jaw surgeon?  (Read 769 times)

Tumtum9646

How should I go about choosing my Jaw surgeon?
« on: May 22, 2016, 02:13:54 PM »
So I made a consultation a few months ago with an orthodontist, who then referred me to a Jaw surgeon. We have already gone through the blue prints of the procedure, including the cost range and how many mm my lower jaw will be advanced. My question is: How do I go about choosing the right Jaw surgeon in my area?

molestrip

• Private
Re: How should I go about choosing my Jaw surgeon?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2016, 02:20:52 PM »
In general you want a surgeon who makes jaw surgery a major part of their practice. Many orthodontists should be referring to this person. I would say at least one a week, unless they have some special qualifications like an extraordinary fellowship.

Rikenen

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2016, 03:14:03 PM »
Ask to see before and afters.

Even if they don't have any online, they will oblige (if they are worth anything) if you ask them to see examples of their work.

Ask how much they do it. Ask what the rate of permanent numbness is in their practice.

molestrip

• Private
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2016, 08:27:20 PM »
You might but it's not a great way to pick a surgeon IMO. Orthodontists know which surgeons deliver the best results because they see them. Ask the orthodontists how many cases they've seen and what percentage of them turned out well. Otherwise, there's no rate you can ask for of value. It's a function of so many things, surgeon skill being only one of those.