Author Topic: When can I entertain friends after SURGERY PLEASE HELP!!!!  (Read 4023 times)

Lazlo

• Private
When can I entertain friends after SURGERY PLEASE HELP!!!!
« on: June 07, 2016, 12:54:39 PM »
Hey guys, veteran member here Lazlo!

So on July 25th I'll be having surgery with Dr. Sinn bright and early. Double jaw surgery, bimax with rotation and I'll be having my ramus dropped (a sort of chin wing I suppose) genioplasty with widening. I need to be in Texas for a week following surgery.

Here's my question, I got friends visiting from out of town August 15th. Will I be in any shape by then to entertain friends go out to restaurants and hang out take then to niagra falls drive around be mobile or will i still be f**ked from surgery by then. Assume I just have average renewal abilities.

Please anyone with surgery give me as detailed an explanation as you can about what sort of state I can be in following August 15th!!???

Thanks! And will look forward to sharing all the results of my surgery with you.

chinnychinchin

Re: When can I entertain friends after SURGERY PLEASE HELP!!!!
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2016, 12:58:34 PM »
It really depends. @ 1 mo, I was still on pain meds due to complications and also got tired easily. I was also rubber-banded and it was a hassle to talk. You'll definitely be swollen so not sure if you'll be self-conscious about that.

Good luck on your surgery, it's been a long time coming!

meepmeepmeep

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2016, 01:12:45 PM »
Congrats Lazlo!

I don't have an answer to your question. But at some point could you explain what exactly you mean by ramus drop?

Thanks and best of luck to you!

Lazlo

• Private
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2016, 01:18:13 PM »
Congrats Lazlo!

I don't have an answer to your question. But at some point could you explain what exactly you mean by ramus drop?

Thanks and best of luck to you!

Yeah I don't know yet, I'll ask Sinn at the pre-surgery workup July 6th. I think it's just what it means cutting the ramus and dropping it so I have a more right angle gonial angles. But I think for it to show I also need to lost body fat for it to show.

thinkingme

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2016, 02:42:40 PM »
Yeah I don't know yet, I'll ask Sinn at the pre-surgery workup July 6th. I think it's just what it means cutting the ramus and dropping it so I have a more right angle gonial angles. But I think for it to show I also need to lost body fat for it to show.

its bsso but cutting at gonial angle i think. i saw this at some good before after xrays.

Lazlo

• Private
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2016, 07:01:22 PM »
are you concerned about the visual appearance (eg swelling) or just the matter of being physically able to do it?

good luck, also i sent you PM man

yo just concerned about being able to like drive my friends to a restaurant, sit there for a few hours and chat with them. Maybe walk around the city with them for a few hours --will i be able to do that type of thing basically 20 days out from my surgery??

PloskoPlus

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2016, 07:16:32 PM »
yo just concerned about being able to like drive my friends to a restaurant, sit there for a few hours and chat with them. Maybe walk around the city with them for a few hours --will i be able to do that type of thing basically 20 days out from my surgery??
Yes, but what's the point? At least 50% of social stuff is eating together.

Lazlo

• Private
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2016, 07:19:23 PM »
Yes, but what's the point? At least 50% of social stuff is eating together.

Yeah I know but my friends are visiting me from the States and it's their only time to come since they teach school beginning early september. It's a female friend and her husband so I just need to be able to take them around to do stuff, I've seen, eaten it all already> i'll just sip drinks or something. Will I be able to talk? that's kinda important.

PloskoPlus

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2016, 07:25:53 PM »
Yeah I know but my friends are visiting me from the States and it's their only time to come since they teach school beginning early september. It's a female friend and her husband so I just need to be able to take them around to do stuff, I've seen, eaten it all already> i'll just sip drinks or something. Will I be able to talk? that's kinda important.

If you have a splint, you will have a lisp.

chinnychinchin

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2016, 08:58:36 PM »
Regardless, I'm sure they'll appreciate you spending time with them, especially with the state you're in. I think you'll be able to manage and they'll understand if you feel more tired towards the end of the day. Like I said though, entirely based on what complications you end up with. If everything goes well, I think you'll have no problem entertaining them at the bare minimum.

kjohnt

« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2016, 12:22:37 AM »
Just based on what I've read here and other online sources, the norm is a splint for about six weeks.  Even if no splint, your jaws are going to be shut tightly.  I'd personally invite them over for a movie and to just kick it, then provide recommendations for food and sightseeing for them to do on their own.

Lazlo

• Private
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2016, 12:35:32 AM »
Just based on what I've read here and other online sources, the norm is a splint for about six weeks.  Even if no splint, your jaws are going to be shut tightly.  I'd personally invite them over for a movie and to just kick it, then provide recommendations for food and sightseeing for them to do on their own.

Oh man this is going to potentially suck massively. These are friends from grad school I haven't seen in eight years and the only time they have free is mid august. They had no idea i was going in for surgery though it's not something i'm hiding obviously. I don't care what i look like but they're also going to stay with me for a few days. I mean if I have a splint in my f**king mouth then social interaction will be complete f**king torture.

I've heard of a lot of people w/o complications needing to essentially stay put  i.e. maybe some short walks for 15 minutes but basically you're on your couch all day for 4 weeks constantly drifting in and out of sleep etc..

Plus I'm on meds for depression and anxiety --so overall just doing f**king amazing! lol I think the wise thing to suggest is that they find another time of the year to come.

stupidjaws

• CFO
  • The panic the vomit the yuppies networking
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2016, 01:07:38 AM »
impossible. your energy levels will be below zero. double jaw is brutal

jusken

• Private
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2016, 01:15:30 AM »
I went to a friend's birthday party 9 days after double jaw surgery.  I felt fantastic, but was still very swollen - so I had to explain to everyone that I just had jaw surgery.  I took my rubberbands off for the entire duration (6-7 hours).  Had a long conversation with someone... I'm pretty sure none of this is advisable though and my surgeon would have fainted had he known, but there you go.

Lazlo

• Private
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2016, 01:39:33 AM »
yeah doesn't sound too great. the thorny thing here is i have to host them in my apartment so like look after them and stuff. it just doesn't sound it'll happen.