Author Topic: Was jaw surgery worth it to those who already had it?  (Read 8717 times)

TestNamePleaseIgnore

Was jaw surgery worth it to those who already had it?
« on: June 12, 2016, 06:57:02 PM »
This is for the people here who have already had jaw surgery already. Did it meet your expectations? I am asking because I am on the fence about whether to get double jaw or not. I have already consulted with a surgeon and he has already laid out the plan should i choose to get it done. I currently have vme, underbite, and flat chin. Its weird because my upper and lower jaw grew disproportionately together so I have a nice bite. Functionally there is nothing wrong its just that I hate my gummy smile, mentalis strain, and having to put effort in keeping my mouth closed. I realize all my complaints are cosmetic although I still mouth breathe at night which i f**king hate. So that's why I am asking you fine folks if indeed it was worth the surgery. I have the money to pay for the surgery but this is one of the things I really don't want to regret cause it will be 40k down the drain and looking uglier than I already am.
My surgical plan is to move my upper jaw up around 5mm and forward 2mm, lower jaw setback around 3mm, and possible sliding genioplasty.
Thanks for looking

TMKA

Re: Was jaw surgery worth it to those who already had it?
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2016, 06:01:08 AM »
It was worth it to me. I wish I would have had it done when I was younger, but I didn't want to wear braces. I'm glad I did it. I had double jaw surgery and a sliding genioplasty.

thinkingme

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2016, 10:42:28 AM »
why its 40k worth? who is ur surgeon

TestNamePleaseIgnore

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2016, 02:54:02 PM »
why its 40k worth? who is ur surgeon
25k for surgeon
12k for hospital stay (1 night i think)
3k for braces
1k for anaesthesia

TestNamePleaseIgnore

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2016, 02:59:01 PM »
It was worth it to me. I wish I would have had it done when I was younger, but I didn't want to wear braces. I'm glad I did it. I had double jaw surgery and a sliding genioplasty.
how tough was the recovery? thanks for reply

TestNamePleaseIgnore

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2016, 02:59:50 PM »
It really depends on the person. For me it was not worth it. But nobody would have been able to change my mind before I had it. So go through with it. The risk is high but the benefits could also be as rewarding.
If i may ask what were the reasons it was unsatisfying to you? thanks

PloskoPlus

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2016, 05:29:44 PM »
Thanks to jaw surgery, I have a rock solid bite, questionable aesthetic improvement (I look younger but still off) and stupendous nerve damage.

TestNamePleaseIgnore

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2016, 08:43:48 PM »
Thanks to jaw surgery, I have a rock solid bite, questionable aesthetic improvement (I look younger but still off) and stupendous nerve damage.
what did u have done?

PloskoPlus

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2016, 09:56:20 PM »

boyo

« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2016, 11:43:25 PM »
Except from some nerve damage (which i think is a given in most cases) and some tightness around the incision scar, i'm very pleased. I'm actually thinking of repeating the whole Lf1+BSSO thing just to get some more forward projection.

TestNamePleaseIgnore

« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2016, 07:34:03 AM »
Except from some nerve damage (which i think is a given in most cases) and some tightness around the incision scar, i'm very pleased. I'm actually thinking of repeating the whole Lf1+BSSO thing just to get some more forward projection.
holy crap. isnt that seriously expensive?

Lazlo

• Private
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2016, 10:52:22 AM »

Because of the issues I experienced and do experience after having it.
My bite was better before. I had a lot of fat loss in the face, on my temples and below my cheeks because I wanted to try a severe advancement. It looked (and felt) terrible and had to be reversed. So to some point it is my own fault but the doctor didn't tell me that there could be issues. I felt after my first surgery that there wasn't really any change in my profile so I had it moved forward even further. Big Mistake. I was swollen for over 4 months and it looked like an infection. The procedure had to be reversed. Some strange Nerve damage occurred already after the first surgery (lip was pulled up on one side of the face) so I would have needed a revision anyway.

Altogether, it was one of the worst experiences of my life.

wait so you had jaw surgery, then a further jaw surgery, and then a revision jaw surgery?

ditterbo

« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2016, 02:59:52 PM »
Isabella, I'm fairly certain I also experienced fat loss around my under eye area from a rhinoplasty... fat loss is a terrible trade off imo, but I guess there's worse.  What did they do to fix your lower lip nerve damage? 

PloskoPlus

« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2016, 06:10:27 PM »
Those that regret surgery are usually the ones who had no functional issues before and generally liked the way they looked, but wanted to look better.

Lip strain is a functional issue.  Just make sure not to over impact add that is ageing.

boyo

« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2016, 08:01:13 PM »
holy crap. isnt that seriously expensive?

Countries like Germany is pretty cheap, e.g. 10 000€ +

What many people here don't seems to understand is that jaw surgery will almost certain produce some sort of health disadvantage (nerve damage) and the procedure sometimes alone will not make you look better as it will often require you to get more surgery down the line. There is no doubt that a forward grown face is beneficial both in looks (makes you look overall healty and younger --> stretches out your soft tissue and gives it support and improves function (airways etc), but bringing the face a lot forward will widen and turn your nose upwards and leave your malars behind thus you'll be needing rhinoplasty and implants after to really be able to assess the result from the jaw surgery. But when it's all done, and with a bit of luck, your result will look superior to all other PS. Impaction on the other hand is generally bad on aesthetics and should be avoided.